Metallic photo prints advice!

katherine12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I have a huge collection of paintings. We were living in a rented home. Now we bought a new home and we are relocating in few weeks. Last week, when I visited my friends home, I saw some metallic photo prints in her house. I loved the work she has done. Thought of keeping my paintings in the same way. My friend suggested me that there are online metallic photo prints. I’m a bit worried about the cost, are they too costly?. And how to take care of it?

Why not just display your paintings?

Too costly is a relative notion, relative to someone's disposable income.

For me metallic prints (on metallic paper, not prints on metal) don't cost much more than other C-prints (C - chromogenic).
The major cost is mounting/framing the prints for presentation.
To ensure the longevity of any print the print should be hinge mounted on museum quality mount board and a mat (w/window) should be between the print and whatever glazing is in front of the print so the print doesn't touch the glazing. As an alternative to a mat one can use spacers to keep the print away from the glazing, but a mat is useful for presentation as it visually separates the print from the wall it hangs on.

I would recommend having a Lustre coat applied to any print. The coating helps block UV light (and atmospheric contaminants) that causes a loss of color fastness over time.
Inkjet prints usually have a longer lifespan than do C-prints though it depends what ink/dye and suspension solution is used to make an inkjet print.

In my opinion not all images are best presented on metallic paper, or as a C-print on regular paper.
Your paintings may look better on fine art inkjet paper but high quality inkjet prints on fine art papers generally cost more C-prints.

I would bet that the lab you linked to is using Kodak Endura C-print paper to make their metallic prints.

Last edited:
They are very vibrant and bright although it has to be a certain type of photo. With no border there is no speration to draw your eyes into engaging with the photograph. The print is emulsified and the metal is dipped into the solution creating one seamless piece. The lab I used had huge margins so you have to watch your crop. They are really expensive but Groupon might have a deal, just make sure it's a reputable place with quality prints. As far as care, you just need to dust once in awhile. I've had a portrait in pretty much direct sun for about two years with no fading. I really doubt the longevity of metal prints compared to a properly mounted print with museum grade glass.

They are very vibrant and bright although it has to be a certain type of photo. With no border there is no speration to draw your eyes into engaging with the photograph. The print is emulsified and the metal is dipped into the solution creating one seamless piece. The lab I used had huge margins so you have to watch your crop. They are really expensive but Groupon might have a deal, just make sure it's a reputable place with quality prints. As far as care, you just need to dust once in awhile. I've had a portrait in pretty much direct sun for about two years with no fading. I really doubt the longevity of metal prints compared to a properly mounted print with museum grade glass.

There is a very big difference between prints on metal and prints on metallic paper.

Sounds like OP is talking about the latter, and the longevity comment is definitely about the latter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back