Milky Waters

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive seen the posted pics of the water that looks milky and I know that it done with a neutral density filter which I think causes a longer exposure to get the look. I was on B & H website and seen the filters but they said gradually nd filters. Is that what I need or is there something Im missing? Thanks for all your advice !!!

You don't need a filter for the dreamy water look. Set your iso as low as it fill go and set your aperture as small as it will go and you should get a slower shutter speed. A gradually filter does like it sounds it goes from dark to clear gradually where a non gradual filter has a solid cut off point from the dark color straight to clear no fading at all. Hoped that helped.
tj

A graduated ND filter has one dark half and one clear half, the point being so you can expose the sky properly if it is much brighter than the ground on a landscape shot. Not what you want for showing moving water - you just want a normal ND filter. I have an ND8 filter and in bright sunlight it is barely enough to achieve the effect, I would go for something darker than this if I was going to buy another one.

If you want that effect when there's bright light outside, you will need an ND filter. You can't turn your ISO down or stop down enough to give a decently long shutter speed in most circumstances. When I do shots like this, however, I usually do them in the morning or late afternoon so the light from the sun isn't as strong. I've even done it an hour before sunrise. I do this because I think the lighting is better overall, and I don't have to use an ND filter.

Most reactions

Back