PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First try at reflections...
I believe this was used on Manual settings...

I know its horribly dark... I tried different ISO settings, but im not sure what I can do to make this better.

Any setting suggestions? What can I do to improve this shot?

MillBridge.jpg

Edit: Tried using my flickr, but the pic wont show up.. so using photobucket. :/

What manual settings did you use? Were you referencing your camera's light meter when you made the settings?

You probably want to turn down the shutter speed for a longer exposure. That way you can also keep your ISO lower.

What manual settings did you use? Were you referencing your camera's light meter when you made the settings?

Umm..no, lol. i was trying to find out...( via EXIF) Still learning how to do that.. and there no longer on m camera so i cant view it there.

How do I view Exif in LightRoom?

I THINK it was F 5.6, 1200 ISO... dont know the rest.. lol Im not a huge help. Sorry.

What are the "standard" or most often used night time/ reflections settings..

Regarding Lightroom: beats me, I shoot film :p

Generally, night shots are best taken with a tripod, a remote shutter release, and a long exposure. If you can use a longer exposure, you don't have to worry about having a high ISO number and you can set your f stop according to your desired depth of field, rather than trying to go as wide as possible to avoid hand shake. You should definitely try to use your camera's light meter as a general reference, and then you can adjust shutter speed and/or f stop to under or overexpose as necessary.

There is no standard, it will depend the scene. For the shot below I spot metered off the 2nd or 3rd arch to keep the arch from getting too bright.

As was mentioned, stable tripod, mirror lock-up (if your camera has it), remote release.
The shot below was 6 seconds, f/11, -2/3EV, ISO 200. Some tiips: Myfotoguy: How to Take Night Cityscape Pictures

p465090978-4.jpg

Last edited:
I say its too close to Van Buren to get a good shot lol! j/k, I have had many many good times on Mill ave. :cheers:
Anyways joking aside go with a longer exposure because thats a real dark place at night. might be looking at around 10 sec but use your meter to tell the truth. Dont forget about your WB settings too. Just an other tip try to make sure you are not on grass or anything. Try to have a nice hard surfice to set up on!

Last edited:
The picture doesn't look that bad.

I don't think it looks bad, but I agree that you should leave the ISO lower and extend the shutterspeed on a tripod. Unless there are risks of cars or people coming into the frame ( which might add a cool streaking effect ). It would be nice if you could atleast begin seeing some of the bridge instead of it being all shadow. I think that would help. Not bad though.

Also, to view EXIF, just right click the file and choose "PROPERTIES" and then click the "DETAILS" tab.

I was thinking of going to Mill when they have their street musicians playing to take some street shots. Going to the Gilbert Riparian Preserve tomorrow. If you have a long lens, you should check that place out sometime.

There is no standard, it will depend the scene. For the shot below I spot metered off the 2nd or 3rd arch to keep the arch from getting too bright.

As was mentioned, stable tripod, mirror lock-up (if your camera has it), remote release.
The shot below was 6 seconds, f/11, -2/3EV, ISO 200. Some tiips: Myfotoguy: How to Take Night Cityscape Pictures

p465090978-4.jpg

going to give it a try.. thanks for the advice. AWESOME shot BTW!

I don't think it looks bad, but I agree that you should leave the ISO lower and extend the shutterspeed on a tripod. Unless there are risks of cars or people coming into the frame ( which might add a cool streaking effect ). It would be nice if you could atleast begin seeing some of the bridge instead of it being all shadow. I think that would help. Not bad though.

Also, to view EXIF, just right click the file and choose "PROPERTIES" and then click the "DETAILS" tab.

I was thinking of going to Mill when they have their street musicians playing to take some street shots. Going to the Gilbert Riparian Preserve tomorrow. If you have a long lens, you should check that place out sometime.

Thank you for the input..;) Ill give it a shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back