Minolta X-700 Technical Question

mr.mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
Just picked up another Minolta X-700 film camera in very nice cosmetic condition. That said, I put a couple of new batteries in and the camera didn't do anything. Then all of a sudden the meter lights lit up and I thought I was in business. Well, that's what I thought, but the film advance lever didn't work. I gave it a couple of taps on the bottom and low and behold the lever worked. The shutter fired and now I was ready to load some film in it. I gave it another try just to be sure and the advance was no longer working. Gave it another tap, and it started working again. Then the tap no longer worked and all I had was a nicely lit meter. I lifted the mirror and that seemed to allow me to advance the shutter again. I pressed the shutter button and the shutter fired. Once I lower the mirror the shutter no longer works. The mirror remains in the down position and won't move unless I physically lift it. In addition, the DOF button appears to be a bit out of sync. Wondering if anyone might have an idea what's causing these issues? The camera's really clean, and appears to have been well cared for, at least on the outside. Looking forward to your responses.
Mike

Last edited:
The X-700 can be a heartbreaker. Sweet camera that can swoon when its electronic components fail. I've been through 3 X-700s that died pretty. DIY surgery is an option as linked above. Another, if you have/like Minolta glass--is the older mechanical Minolta bodies but these mostly rely on long-gone PX625 mercury batteries for metering only. There are hacks that can keep these oldies running.

It's not age that kills these but rather bum components. I have several Nikon FE bodies--roughly the same vintage as the x-700 and some very "experienced"--that still answer the call with no complaints.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of X-700's over the years, but this is the first one to have this sort of issue. Usually if a cap goes bad, you don't have all the functions my camera still has. It seems more like something is out of sync. Can't seem to get the mirror to stay up. If I lift the mirror manually the shutter will fire. In addition, the DOF feature seems to be sticking. When I activate the advance lever and press the shutter, I hear a very faint clicking sound in the DOF area. Mirror doesn't move. Once I lift the mirror, the shutter will fire. Very strange! Thanks again for the input. I'll let you know how I make out.

Sounds like a capacitor problem. Those 80's electronics can be finicky.

Here is a guide to change it out........

Or there is Garry's repair........
I had capacitor problems with my otherwise mint looking X-370, so I sent it to Garry's. Fixed/cla'd it and it works fine. I've also sent him two other minoltas(XE-7 with a stuck frame counter and a SRT-201 for CLA) and he did a great job on those two also. For an X-700, he fixes the problem and does a cla for a flat rate of $60+$8.00 shipping.

I had capacitor problems with my otherwise mint looking X-370, so I sent it to Garry's. Fixed/cla'd it and it works fine. I've also sent him two other minoltas(XE-7 with a stuck frame counter and a SRT-201 for CLA) and he did a great job on those two also. For an X-700, he fixes the problem and does a cla for a flat rate of $60+$8.00 shipping.
Nice to know. Doubt I'd spend 60 bucks on a camera that cost $30. That's what I paid for the last two X-700s I owned. Pitched both of 'em. Bought a mint XE-7 for the same money--so far, so good. Seriously, though, Rokkor glass I have can easily be shot on nearly any digital mount now via adapters--hardly a news flash. I adored Minolta MF SLRs--my first love--but now rely on a bunch film Nikons to scratch the 35mm analogue itch. None ever died pretty like those X-700s.

Most reactions

Back