Mirrorless camera for 35/50/75mm primes trio?

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So...some decade and a half back I bought a Bessa-R 35mm rangefinder, and three Leica thread mount lenses; the 35mm f/1.7, 50mm f/1.5, and the 75mm f/2.5. All are pretty high-quality and small lenses capable of full-frame coverage. I'm wondering what might be the better camera choices for putting these three lenses to work?

I'm wondering because of the new Metabones "speed" adapter, which increases effective f/stop by one full stop! And which shortens focal length by a factor of 0.71x.

So what should I buy? I am thinking the Metabones adapter is $429 or so if that is needed, but maybe I do not want or need that. I do not "need" to use a Metabones adapter if the camera is the right one.

Sony Nex3? Fuji X-something or other? Olympus OM-D? Panasonic something or other? Any thoughts?

I'd go Fuji X-something.. but that's because I like the rangefinder-esque setup of them. Although, I must admit the sensor on my X100 is pretty sweet too.

Yeah, I might have to look into the Fuji X-line, to see what they're all about. I generally like the look of the Fuji cameras, and the X-trans sensor is said to be pretty good.

I just got a (couple of) NEX-3 just for my rangefinder lenses (I think I like your LTM lenses better than my Canons 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm f/3.5) ... my impressions, I find the controls very simple which is ok if you do not want a lot of control. Really you only got one control dial on the back, but it does work OK.
My M39 adapter is still in transit so I cannot give much feedback on actually using LTM lenses on it yet ... my primary reason for this camera was the larger sensor and the price.

Now that you mention it...YOUR POST on getting a NEX 3 was what spawned my thought on this!!!! I'd had the thought a few years back, but it died away...and now it's back, thanks to you. I just really wanna' get those lenses into action.

So...some decade and a half back I bought a Bessa-R 35mm rangefinder, and three Leica thread mount lenses; the 35mm f/1.7, 50mm f/1.5, and the 75mm f/2.5. All are pretty high-quality and small lenses capable of full-frame coverage. I'm wondering what might be the better camera choices for putting these three lenses to work?

I'm wondering because of the new Metabones "speed" adapter, which increases effective f/stop by one full stop! And which shortens focal length by a factor of 0.71x.

So what should I buy? I am thinking the Metabones adapter is $429 or so if that is needed, but maybe I do not want or need that. I do not "need" to use a Metabones adapter if the camera is the right one.

Sony Nex3? Fuji X-something or other? Olympus OM-D? Panasonic something or other? Any thoughts?

Well before you do that Derrel I think you should adopt. I'm big, but I don't eat much. Lol

Sounds like fun, Derrel! Pretty sure there's no Speed Booster for L39 mount, though.

The NEX-3 will definitely be your least expensive APS-C option. That said, you may miss having a viewfinder...

Maybe this is your chance to pick up that A7 or A7r you've always wanted.

If you do end up getting the NEX-3 and an L39 to NEX adapter, you can always rent an A7r and see if the shutter is as loud as everyone says it is ;)

Cheers,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OMG... Derrel interested in a mirrorless camera!!!!

Wait!!! just wait a freakin minute....

Not only mirrorless but he is considering a SONY NEX!!

Did hell freeze over?

Lol.

Yeah, I might have to look into the Fuji X-line, to see what they're all about. I generally like the look of the Fuji cameras, and the X-trans sensor is said to be pretty good.

Wait for Fuji X-T1. Rumoured to be a very good camera. Should be announced before February.

Seriously... my initial thoughts from adapting lenses on micro 4/3rds.

* I like having in body image stabilization since it will stabilize all lenses including those that are adapted. This is a point against much of the micro 4/3rds panasonic line except the GX7 and Fuji X even though I do like their offerings. It also (if I recall correctly) the sony NEX line.

* Focus peaking is also extremely helpful. Sony had it right from the start. Olympus just now added the feature to the OMD E-M1. There is a way to do it on the older E-M5 but involves leveraging an art-filter... not ideal.

* Along with focus peaking, the UI should allow you to bring up focus peaking very easily as well as magnification. Perhaps a dedicated button or assignable.

* Not too small. Counter to what a previous poster posted, the "rangefinder' look general means a minuscule grip. When adapting lenses + speed booster, a body that is too small will render the setup feeling unbalanced. Full frame lenses especially. In your case, you are adapting L39 so it may not be such a big issue. The E-M1 has a good sized grip and layout.

* Built in high quality EVF. Back in the manual focus/film days, the viewfinder's coverage, brightness, and quality was very important. THis is true with mirrorless today when adapting lenses. I personally would choose a camera that has a built-in very high resolution with high refresh rate EVF. For me personally, the E-M5 (and VF2) are good enough and the E-M1 is even better. I hear the Sony A7's EVF is a gem. IMO, Manual focusing at arms length using the rear LCD sucks.

* Micro 4/3rds 2x crop makes focal length (FOV) a concern with adapted lenses. Your shorter focal lengths suddenly have a FOV of a mild-telephoto. Now with the booster the 0.71x multiplier does lessen the issue a little. A 35mm + speed booster on 2x crop will be closer to 50mm. 35mm + speed booster on an APS-C will be closer to 40mm.

Of course, I am not intimately knowledgable in all possible systems and most would not fit all the above points 100%. Just have to weigh both the pros and cons.

Honestly..... I'd go with the A7 or A7R. Full frame with great IQ. You have four ways to use it.

Use it in APS mode with NEX speedbooster for adapted lenses.
Use it with adapted lenses without speedbooster. Take advantage of the full frame. (For L39 wide angle you may have issues at the corner though)
Use it with NEX lenses.
Use it with Sony FE lenses

The only con against it is the lack of IS.

At least that's my understanding. I've only been researching the A7/A7R from the perspective of adapting M mount lenses and FE zooms (still leaning towards another M body but they are just so damn expensive). From the reviews, the samples from the A7 and A7R are outstanding.

My second choice would be the Olympus E-M1 BUT that's partly because I am biased and I own a lot of micro 4/3rds lenses. But it does offer focus peaking, in body image stabilization, and decent grip and layout. Outside of adapting the system itself is pretty nice too.

PS> I look forward to the day when Derrel shoots all his Nikkors on a mirrorless camera. lol

Last edited:
Honestly..... I'd go with the A7 or A7R. Full frame with great IQ. You have four ways to use it.

Use it with adapted lenses without speedbooster. Take advantage of the full frame. (For L39 wide angle you may have issues at the corner though)
Use it with NEX lenses.
Use it with Sony FE lenses

The only con against it is the lack of IS.

At least that's my understanding. I've only been researching the A7/A7R from the perspective of adapting M mount lenses and FE zooms (still leaning towards another M body but they are just so damn expensive). From the reviews, the samples from the A7 and A7R are outstanding.

My second choice would be the Olympus E-M1 BUT that's partly because I am biased and I own a lot of micro 4/3rds lenses. But it does offer focus peaking, in body image stabilization, and decent grip and layout. Outside of adapting the system itself is pretty nice too.

PS> I look forward to the day when Derrel shoots all his Nikkors on a mirrorless camera. lol

Why not FUJI ? They have better lenses and a sensor that in some ways is on par with FF and trounces everything 4/3ds.
FUJI X is a well thought photographers camera, Sony A7 looks like an opportunistic marketing exercise.

Why not FUJI ? They have better lenses and a sensor that in some ways is on par with FF and trounces everything 4/3ds.
FUJI X is a well thought photographers camera, Sony A7 looks like an opportunistic marketing exercise.

Why so defensive?

Its my opinion and I have a right to it.

I have to disagree... everyone has different needs/wants. From the point of view of a balance between packaging, features, and image quality, micro 4/3rds is better than Fuji for me. From my perspective, a good camera is judged by more than simply the sensor. In this case, no system can deliver a quality system in the compact packaging of micro 4/3rds. High ISO yes.. Fuji wins but that's a compromise I was willing to make and accept.

When adapting lenses, I find myself wanting to shoot a optic "as intended". Crop factor tends to change that. In that respect, there exists only two cameras that has the short flange distance of a mirrorless and the FF sensor to enjoy adapted lenses' FOV as intended. One is the Leica M and the other is the Sony A7/A7R.

Anyone who claims any system to be more of a "photographer's camera" than another is an idiot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everybody. Yeah...I see there is NO LTM Mewtabones Speed adapter, just M mount, and that would necessitate yet a second, LTM to M, adapter...."ehhhh..no". I think I would really like to use these three lenses as-labelled, meaning as 35/50/75mm, so a FF camera would be best for that, so that makes the Sony A7, the 24MP model with electronic first curtain shutter, seem kinda' appealing...but it costs more than I really want to spend at this exact moment. Buuuut....I have other lenses too, so I would not even "have to buy" other lenses.

The NEX was my thought as a low-cost solution, but the points usayit brought up sound very appealing: "Honestly..... I'd go with the A7 or A7R. Full frame with great IQ. You have four ways to use it.

Use it with NEX lenses.
Use it with Sony FE lenses"

The gears are turning...smoke is coming out of the ear holes....

You shouldn't let a ltm to m adapter stop you. It's a simple adapter and rather inexpensive. There is no optics nor moving parts. I use them on my LTM lenses and leave the adapter attached to to the lens.

If you intend on using them on an M mount rangefinder you just make sure the adapter brings up up the correct framelines... but in you situation it's not important.

I think the NEX is a great low cost system to adapt with focus peaking. I would prefer models with EVF though....

Voigtlander make a nice adapter to fit the Sony which bring minimum focus closer

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

Back