model release question

A question on model and building release ?
If you are travelling pr living abroad say like asia and take photos of natives or people from foreign countries like Asia , How to sell the photos, as these people may not read and write, some have no clue about release and photo laws, In most countries they do not apply.
In street photography you cannot go round asking all those who have recognisable faces to sign model releases , Same in press photography So How ? Same with buildings . most often the person n the photo like an old poor family or lady, Mat not even understand what it is your asking . let alone able to read and write.

If the law stops you from taking photographs to sell ,the this law must be given when buying a camera . s you dod not waist years like I have.
Thank you for using the search button. But in this case you might be better off just starting your own thread. People tend to answer the OP's answer, and not look thru the rest of the posts. You may get over looked. Very good question tho, I am not sure I know commercial photography requires releases, while some others do not such as photojournalism (press).

My understanding is that a model release is not necessarily appropriate if you are being paid for the shots, since the person paying you may or may not be paying for total ownership of the images. If they decline to sign a release, it's up to you to decide whether they are paying enough money or not to preclude you from using the images for your professional benefit.

WOW! A thread dug up from 2003. I think that is a new record - 7.5 years old.

Model release laws, and copyright laws, are not the same everywhere. For example, here in the US each of the 50 states has their own model and property release statutes, so what is legal for me here in Iowa, doesn't necessarily work in California.

The same applies to different countires. So while traveling you will need to find out what the model release and copyright laws are that apply where ever you happen to be taking photographs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back