Monarch versus Boumsell

Dany

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When WW II started, these two pseudo TLR from my collection were launched on the market.
The left one was sold in the USA by Monarch Mfg Co Chicago and the right side one was French and made by a company named Boumsell.
Who created the model and who copied it ? I still don't know.
But I find both of them are nice and simple examples of popular photography.

Boumsel- Monarch comparaison LD.jpg

Interesting similarities. Also interesting that the Longchamp brand is now used for a product line of designer handbags.

These are very nice representitives of this particular style of camera.

Both are fantastic. LOVE art deco styling. I think Monarch made radios too, another of my collecting habits.

Longchamp is the name of a well-known horse racing field (at least in France). The races used to gather wealthy people and became synonymous with luxe, fashion and chic.
In my opinion, this is why some manufacturers registered Lonchamp as a trademark for their products.
Interesting to learn that Monarch made radios too (bakelite one I suppose?)

I know Krasco made a "Monarch" model radio but I saw, along time ago, at a flea market a seller had mini cathedral marked made by Monarch Mfg.

I Googled but only found this...

Monarch Manufacturing Company
3345 Belmont Avenue (March 1940, Radio & Television Today yearbook page 81)
Chicago, Illinois

I assume these are 127 cameras. I cut my teeth witha Kodak Brownie 127 in the earlyo mid 6o's, I hooked it up with a telescope and got images :D Under 13 at the time the couple we spotted were just doing the same as my mice, I had a lot more mice afew weeks later :)

We forget that many of our parents or grand parents made all their images with camears like these.

Ian

You are right .
These cameras were loaded with 127 films to produce 3x4 cm negatives.
It seems that Chicago was, at the time, a cluster of cheap camera makers.

I recently got, in my collection, a good example of this with the "Clix-O-Flex" made by Metropolitan Industries.

Clix-O-Flex.jpg

The Monarch started being made in 1939 (approximately) and the Boumsell in 1940. It is very possible that the French company either copied the Monarch design or that they purchased lots of their bodies, added some mods and rebranded them, to be sold in France. Jury is still out on this one...

Today, it is not obvious to state who manufactured, who subcontracted, who sold these items
They were a lot on this business.
As an example, this other pseudo TLR from my collection, the "Wond O Flex"

Metropolitan Industries - Wond O Flex small 004 bis.jpg

Most reactions

Back