Monitor/MPIX issues

JIP

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I have a problem, I am not sure if this is the right are to address it bit let me know. I recently got the below images plus several more printed at Mpix. The images (to me) look very rich and colorful and the sky looks almost polrizer blue. When I got the recent prints most of them were washed out and lught and generally not what I see on my monitor. I have a Spyder 3 and use it regularly to calibrate both of my monitors but still the images are washed out. So the question is this, are they washed out or did Mpix screw up??. If they do look washed out does any one have any suggstions on how to properly adjust the density with the Spyder. Thanks anyone in advnce for your help.

I have not looked at the posted images since before I posted them but originally they looked as I posted good as far as density goes.

DSC_0081-4.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0130-1.jpg

The sky is blue on my screen and my screen is not calibrated :). But yeah, the color of the sky look great.

I think you're seeing the result of the wrong working profile being assigned to the images, which is sRGB, and your monitor and computer system are viewing the images in Adobe RGB; in sRGB these images look a bit flat and dull, but in Adobe RGB, which is where you are viewing them, the skies are intense blue and the saturation looks high. But opened in their assigned profile, which is sRGB, they don't have the same punchy look you are seeing on your system.

MPIX is printing the images as they came in, with sRGB assigned, hence the disappointment.

So any suggestion on how to solve the issue with the several hundred images I have already edited in this way. Of course I would also like a suggestion on what to do to fix this for future refrence.

Well you won't ever match the screen exactly without a viewing box, but also what is the contrast of the screen? When calibrating the software defaults just look at tone response and colour accuracy, and often negate the all important limiting of contrast ratio, since screens will likely have a contrast ratio significantly higher than a print.

Also MPIX has a fancy talking website, but they also offer very cheap printing services with no gurantee of accuracy. Are these the 19c prints they offer? Our local Rabbit Photo lab still make modifications to the image if you click on the "no touchup" option. I've noticed this in the form of excessive sharpening with large radius (increasing contrast), and an overall lightening of dark parts of the image, which can often have a big effect on a dark image.

This kind of effect sells prints and I doubt you'd find anything better from any other 19c service. That said if you paid a few dollars for this print it would be good to follow the result up with them.

They aren't polariser blue to me... blue, but not dark blue per se.

They aren't polariser blue to me... blue, but not dark blue per se.

I guess I may have overstated that but I did darken them a good bit in CS4 and they came back from MPIX quite a bit lighter. So I guess the main thing to do is going to be to coordinate with Mpix but it is the weekend so I thought I would come here for suggestins first and try and figure out if it is my monitor calibration or some overzealous correcting on the part of Mpix or something else entirely like incorrect color soacing as has been suggested.

Check out this Mpix Support page if you haven't already. (Mpix>Support tab>Online Help>How To Prepare Your Images.

Mpix guarantees their prints if you opt to have them do color correction. If you do the color correction, they don't.

Pro-labs over here print from RGB files and will give you profiles for their printers which you assign in PS, cheapies do sRGB and you get back any garbage they want to give you, that's why they are cheap.

Maybe an incorrect color profile either in your workflow or embedded in the file? Generally my "no Correction" 19¢ prints come out pretty accurate even on a non-calibrated monitor. I would check all of your color settings and get in touch with mpix, There is probably a solution just a couple clicks away.

off topic; your exif, says that your photos were taken October 01, 2010! So the D700 Does include a Flux capacitor?

MPIX will provide profiles. Just ask for them.

I am cheap and lazy, I simply followed the directions on their webpage using sRGB and clicked off "do not color correct". No problems thus far... maybe I am just lucky.

So usayit, to clarify, you do or don't let mpix color correct? I select do not, and get the 19 cent prints. I just setup my IPS monitor and will probably calibrate it tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see my results on my next order.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back