Moon through the clouds

Hobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking through the window earlier and saw the moon shining through a thin layer of clouds and thought it would be a cool shot but it was kinda hard trying to get a clear shot though because if I use a slow shutter speed the moon would be too bright and if I use a fast shutter speed the clouds would be too dark -.-

moon.jpg

Looks cool! Well done. Maybe a bit of cropping here and there and voilà! You have it.
Our moon looked like that, too, the other night, with a halo as big as here, only was I only seeing it from a driving car, so all I could do was THINK that I'd like to take a photo. I couldn't take it, though.
So thanks for taking it in my stead :biggrin:

thanks for the advice but how can i crop it? shall I get rid of the trees?
hehe I know how you feel when often you see something cool but you couldn't take a picture because you were either busy or didnt have a camera with you. It can be really annoying sometimes :grumpy: :cry:

here is another shot taken with a slower shutter speed and cropped:

moon2.jpg

No, I think the trees are the necessary "anchor". But there is some dead space above and on the right (says my feeling, but that is all subjective, of course).

I'm meanwhile quite used to the standard size I get out of my camera, which is narrower and wider than this photo here. Maybe it is also my being accostumed to getting 2:3 pics that makes me think this one needs some cropping.

yeah thats what i thought too I mean that photo would be kinda boring if not for the trees at the bottom.

ok I cropped it so it's a bit "wider" now. I guess I just want the moon to be in the center of the picture so that's reason why I didn't make it wider than I may should

moon3.jpg

Version 2.0

moon4.jpg

Cool shots! It almost looks like a tunnel!

I think generally you need to expose for the main subject (in this case, the moon), and if the clouds are too dark, there's not much you can do. Although if you use a tripod and take 2 exposures and combine then in photoshop, you could have the best of both worlds (or go a step further and make it HDR).

Cool shots! It almost looks like a tunnel!

I think generally you need to expose for the main subject (in this case, the moon), and if the clouds are too dark, there's not much you can do. Although if you use a tripod and take 2 exposures and combine then in photoshop, you could have the best of both worlds (or go a step further and make it HDR).

well the moon is not the intended main subject in these photos I was more amazed by the clouds surrounding it and the halo effect. but you are right IF I have a tripod and a better camera and photoshop I would definitely make a HDR. It will probably take awhile before I try HDR though since before like two days ago I didn't even have an idea what HDRI is :mrgreen:

I just took some more night shots but this time without the moon but the sky was surprisingly blue :mrgreen: taken with 5sec exposure and yes we had a very white Easter this year...

night.jpg

and this is my very first shot of the sunrise:

sunrise.jpg

hmm you mean like this?

moonV3.jpg

Hobbes, I think the last one is just right, the first couple of shots, which has already been commented on, have too much dark areas surrounding the moon. The last one pulls your eyes to the left and makes it more 'interesting'. Rules of thirds - lol. Nice crop!

I'm glad you like the result of my third try :D I am not very good at editing photos and how to make them good thats why I keep posting them on here so you guys can help me make them better :sillysmi:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back