Morning Raider - not for the squeamish!

Fangman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hawk-1-1.jpg

Alerted by a mass of birds of all sizes scattering from long tailed tits to pheasant from around the feeders and all kinds of alarm cries to see this unfold before me.

Hawk-2-1.jpg

One of about a dozen starlings won't be making it home

Hawk-3-1.jpg

The sparrow hawk pinned the prey down and for some seconds completely smothered it under out stretched wings

Hawk-4-1.jpg

Almost triumphant

Hawk-5-1.jpg

The filal strike

These are just a few of a series of about 20 images taken before it spotted me and flew off with her lunch.

Awww. I do feel for the starling here - but then the sparrow hawk (first time I'm reading this, must check on what that would be in German... hang on. Checked: yes, I would have taken the bird of prey for that, too ;)) must eat, too, or else he'd die, and then I'd feel for him. Cool series!

Nice shots...I take it you're not completing the food chain with some hawk soup? :lmao:

It's called manteling when they spread their wings out to cover their food. It's a common behavior in birds of prey. I got to play with an american kestrel a few years back, they're feisty little birds. If they were any bigger, they'd be dangerous. :) Very cool shots, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments - I should have started with this one
Hawkattack-1.jpg

The attack!

Such ACTION!
Wow!
Cool.

Pretty cool sequence of photos. Although it might sadden some to see the starling being made a meal of, there are like a billion starlings in the world, and they're more a menace than most other bird species. Almost like baitfish of the air realm...starlings are plentiful, the raptors much less so...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back