Mother Nature

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had trouble with harsh light on these shots. I had little time to shoot as well. I would like to here what you all would have done different.
ISO 800 f/8 1/60 , set in AP mode @ f/8 and auto ISO
1)
4610684758_bb47bf40ed_b.jpg

2)
4610072763_913f9ac550_b.jpg

thanks for looking and you C&C as always!

I probably would have used a fill flash with a speedlight.

Set my camera by metering on the background, then dialing in -1.0 exposure to make the background beyond the subject not so bright. I would either use exposure lock or switch to manual, either one so the background exposure is locked.

I probably would shoot raw+Jpeg, but would have the WB on flash, ISO 200, Aperture f/4 to 5.6 . Just enough the get the parts of my subject I want in focus.

Dial in exposure compensation on flash + or - as needed to light the subject. On a Nikon Speedlight I would set it to TTL-BL, not sure what for Canon.

Hmm i hear a lot about speed lights and external flashes. I have not purchesed one yet and wasnt thinking about one but maybe that will be one the wish list. that will keep the sky from being blown out? you seem to make sence! This was at disney mid day too... I wasnt carring a lot of stuff with me all day. is there anything to do in PP to make it better?

Great model, I would have loved to see her in one with the same pose as the second but looking right at the camera with her eyes. And now I want to know the story behind this girl. Please and thanks, and yes I have thanked a trucker today lol. My hubby.

The flash won't directly keep the sky from blowing out, but it will allow you to expose for the the bright areas beyond the subject. Then use flash to bring up the shadows where the subject is. Basically, your balancing the exposure in the shadows with flash to more closely match the bright background.

You can't totally reduce the brightness in post, but some things can be done to the subject area to make it "pop" and stand out more so it's less distracting. I have to head out now, if I can get back here later I'll give some editing a shot.

Thanks,
Well its an easy story behind it. I had a day at Disneys Animal kingdom. I was just walking on a path and looked over. She was on stilts (hands and feet) about 12-14 feet tall. She was walking through all of the trees blending in. Most of the time you could not see her face so when i could get the chance i took it. Her hight was an issue because i was looking up at the sky to capture her face. I took a couple exposing for the sky but she was too under exposed. So for the better of the worse i chose exposing for her face. This is where a flash might have helped i guess. She seldomly looked at the people to get a shot looking into the camera. Tho I tried to wait but just keeped clicking. I had my pop up flash in range and should have tried that. Its all learning and thats why im here :)
Being that she is an empolyee (cast member) I had no choice on her makeup or looks. just what i could do with a camera.

Most reactions

Back