MartinCrabtree

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
High Point Raceway 6/8/13 250 Moto 1

DSC_0237copy_zps3e608937.jpg

DSC_0189copy_zps0482fd8d.jpg

I'm shooting AMA at Southwick, will you be there?

The second one is very good. The first needs a slower shutter speed to allow the spokes to blur showing motion. No EXIF data on either so I don't know what you shot them at, but if you pan with your subject you should be able to get below 1/100 second.

No can't make Southwick unfortunately. I will probably be at Unadilla though.

Thanks for the critique. First time out with a new camera. I'm happy so far. Need faster glass.

I dont know what Craig is talking about but the 2nd one is probably the worst image of the two. Look at it this way, your viewers have no idea what hes jumping off of, how high he is, if its big or small. The photo needs to tell a story. It needs to tell us where he took off, wheres hes at in the air compared to the take off and obviously the landing. This image doesnt tell us any of that.

I would prefer the first one but Roczen is out of focus. I agree with Mitch in that I disagree with Scott; Motocross images coming into or leaving turns, like the first one, are typically shot with a very fast shutter so as to freeze action / roost (more space behind Ken's bike could have been advantageous here) as well as to capture detail. Ideally you'd love to see the riders eyes in focus in a shot like the first one. Slow shutter panning shots are typically used in high speed sections, like your second image. So I'd say your shutter speeds appear good on both, you just missed focus on #1 and I'd prefer a slightly looser crop on #2 and maybe bring back some of the highlights if you can.

Brian, do you have media credentials for Southwick or are you just attending? Unfortunately this year will be only my second time missing Red Bud in the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Yes I am credentialed. I might go Friday but probably just Saturday.

Cool. How do you go about getting credentialed for a motocross?

You apply and show them a portfolio or you are hired to cover the event.

Not sure I didn't apply, I was hired they said they would take care of it. I'm all set is all I know.

I like the images you posted. Normally I don't like the busy backgrounds, but in the first one because there are no breaks in the colour it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know what Craig is talking about but the 2nd one is probably the worst image of the two. Look at it this way, your viewers have no idea what hes jumping off of, how high he is, if its big or small. The photo needs to tell a story. It needs to tell us where he took off, wheres hes at in the air compared to the take off and obviously the landing. This image doesnt tell us any of that.

im not understanding the whole "every photo needs to tell a story" thing. its a good photo of a bike midair, I think the photo stands on its own. Every photo tells some sort of story. this photo tells of a rider that is obviously mid jump on a dirt track. I dont think we need to have the track in the picture to get that as a viewer. pan back and get the ramp, and you lose the close up of the rider. its just a portrait in motion. not every photo has to be a "war and peace". sometimes "green eggs and ham" will do just fine. :)

Thread has been cleaned do not return to the removed topic/argument. Lets focus on the photos and leave personal squabbles off the site. If you can't stand another member either try to resolve the issue between yourselves in private (we have a private messaging system!) or use the ignore feature. The open site is NOT the place for these attacks/snips/arguments.

Thank you Overead. I would like to apologize to all the forum members for allowing myself to act in an unprofessional manner.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back