Mountain photos C&C and choose for me

edwardspw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these six photos at Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee last summer. I am wanting to make a large framed print of one or two, but I cannot decide which ones have the most appeal. In one photo you can see a storm approaching in the distance. Hopefully at least one will have good viewer appeal, although I will gladly accept any constructive criticism.

Thanks for any input. I have been reading this forum for a long time but have never posted photos until now.

100_1247_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0085_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0099_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0110_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0113_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0240_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said - my first time posting photos, but I got them in there now.

I really like #4 and #6 myself.

I'd also suggest 6 for printing, though before I'd send that one off, I'd selectively brighten all that isn't sky some more, else it might show too dark in print (my experience with where I send my photos, they usually come back home darker than my - admittedly nicely bright monitor - show me). But compositionally that one seems to be the "best rounded".

At first I thought, 4 is the one.
But it bugs me that you used MOST of the larch (?) (or would this tree be called tamarack? - or is it some tree all different to what I'm thinking???) as foreground, but not all! With the tips cropped, the narrow space that's left for us to look through is too narrow. The photo feels crowded --- well, that word's the only one that springs to mind just now.

Opposed to that, having zoomed in on the larch/tamarack/whatever more, using it as a frame within the frame only, helps us looking through and beyond. But, like I said, I feel the mountains are now too dark for the printer. (Not much! Just a little).

I like #1. The lines of the hills, the shadows on them, and to me, the Vista is the subject. My eye was drawn right through the picture. The trees distract from that for me, although since others like #6, I looked at it much harder and can definitely see the appeal.

Those are very good observations about my photos. I see what is meant by having too much frame and not enough subject. Also, the #6 is my personal favorite, but it probably would benefit from lightening up the trees, although it was late in the evening and actually looked pretty much like that.

More advice from others is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your input.
-Phillip

I'd also suggest 6 for printing, though before I'd send that one off, I'd selectively brighten all that isn't sky some more, else it might show too dark in print (my experience with where I send my photos, they usually come back home darker than my - admittedly nicely bright monitor - show me). But compositionally that one seems to be the "best rounded".

At first I thought, 4 is the one.
But it bugs me that you used MOST of the larch (?) (or would this tree be called tamarack? - or is it some tree all different to what I'm thinking???) as foreground, but not all! With the tips cropped, the narrow space that's left for us to look through is too narrow. The photo feels crowded --- well, that word's the only one that springs to mind just now.

Opposed to that, having zoomed in on the larch/tamarack/whatever more, using it as a frame within the frame only, helps us looking through and beyond. But, like I said, I feel the mountains are now too dark for the printer. (Not much! Just a little).

You know I also saw #4 and said Bingo!, but then I got to 6 and I liked it, but reading this from LaFoto really nailed it. 4 does strike me as a tree photo with a nice bg, rather than a mountain photo with a great foreground. My vote for #6 as well.

Great shots too btw!! :D

I would actually choose number 1

A) its simple
B) nice view !
C) nothing 'in the way'
D) great green, lushious colours.

Number 6 is also nice.
With number one crop the bottom so the rocks don't show as I think these are distracting, as there is not enough of them showing to be a feature.

#4, hands down. The last one is nice too, but dark. Cool storm coming in!

I pick #6 for it's compositional qualities, but I would have preferred a warmer morning or evening color cast.

You were all very helpful in your responses. Every suggestion you have made seems to be appropriate. I'll be asking for more critique soon for a couple other images. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back