Mt. Rainier B&W from 100 miles away

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by JonFZ300, Jan 13, 2019.

1. JonFZ300

JonFZ300 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This was shot at Ebey's Landing on Whidbey Island earlier today. It's definitely not that sharp at full size and I don't know where that top right vignette came from, but I like it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You know I find that sometimes that's all that really matters!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jeff G

Jeff G -Amateur Shutterbug- Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I like it, very subtle. :encouragement:

4. shadowlands

shadowlands No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Awesome shot. Rainier is a dominant beast of a mountain!

5. JonFZ300

Photos OK to edit
    Cheers thanks!

Thanks. Rainier is perfect for far away zoom lens action, makes it look way bigger than to the eye.

6. bulldurham

bulldurham TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have no idea if you are shooting film or digital but in either case you shot an nearly impossible shot to make in camera without a set of neutral density filters. You have three very distinctive tonal areas: the water, which is naturally darker, the middle, Mt Rainier (and from this shot it is hard to tell if it is totally snowed over) which is significantly lighter with lots of reflected light, and the sky that appears to be overcast.

In photoshop, I've changed the emphasis to reflect the three areas but admittedly, only marginally so...but really just to show the three exposure compensations you'd have to make for a more successful exposure. Just a thought. My brother lived in Friday Harbor until he passed and from his house, he had views of all three big ones: Rainier, Baker and Olympus.

jonf.jpg

7. JonFZ300

Photos OK to edit

I like your edit a lot. It looks a little sharper too. I played around with exactly what you're talking about. I couldn't get the three areas to the exposures I wanted separately. It didn't look right. I just don't have the skills for that kind of subtlety. I'm shooting digital. I have a Panasonic FZ300. This was handheld on a totally clear day. It's at 600mm EFL from 100 miles away like the title says. It ends up so "ghostly" because of the haze/distance I guess. It's f2.8 for 1/2000 second and the autofocus didn't have enough contrast to get the mountain so the focus point is that dark strip of land on the left. I had the camera set up for birds and just snapped a couple of these without thinking about the settings. I have lots of pics like this at different settings so I don't geek out on it too much anymore. The mountain is totally snowed over.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Friday Harbor is a great place, 130 miles from Rainier in a straight line. You can see those three from Ebey's Landing as well. It's a spectacular spot.

Thanks for your response