My First DSLR Camera

abbyxelizabeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm sure you guys get this question asked a lot, but here I am asking it anyway. ;) What is the best beginner/starter DSLR camera? I would preferably like to buy a new one, or a refurbished one. I would rather not get one used off Craigslist or eBay. My budget isn't much. About $400 - $500 I'd say. I'm open to any suggestions. Since I'm quite new to all this, if you could explain all you can about the differences and whatnot, that would be great!

My friend isn't a photographer but has two DSLR's and suggests this one: Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens: Camera & Photo What do you all think of that one?

Thank you in advance! :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sure you guys get this question asked a lot, but here I am asking it anyway. ;) What is the best beginner/starter DSLR camera? I would preferably like to buy a new one, or a refurbished one. I would rather not get one used off Craigslist or eBay. My budget isn't much. About $400 - $500 I'd say. I'm open to any suggestions. Since I'm quite new to all this, if you could explain all you can about the differences and whatnot, that would be great!

My friend isn't a photographer but has two DSLR's and suggests this one: Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens: Camera & Photo What do you all think of that one?

Welcome to the site. Honestly, there is no one best dslr. It's a personal choice. I own the T3i and had the 18-55mm to start. I have since traded for better glass but still have the T3i. I like it and it will take quality pictures if you spend the time to learn how to use it.

With any dslr, I would recommend that you get the manual or download it and read it at least once if now 2 or 3 times.

A couple of quick questions for you abby - is the DSLR something your going to use just occasionally - like say a few snapshots here and there and maybe vacation/Christmas time? Or is it something you think you'll be using more often?

Second question, are you looking to do portraits and landscape style photos, or are you planning on wildlife shots (birdies and such), or maybe sports photography?

Last question, do you think you'll be using this mostly for still shots as opposed to video?

My recommendation is Nikon D3200, a more modern version then the T3i, I just saw it for sale for 450$ with its kit lens 18-55mm

If your friend has a Canon, I to recommend a canon. Ye can swap lenses, accesories amd tech skills. If you want a first dslr the one he/she recommends is a great choice

I'm hoping to get into photography, so it'll be a lot more than just a few pictures here and there. I'm not sure exactly what I'll mainly be taking pictures of, perhaps a variety of things, but probably more portraits and landscapes. My friend who has that camera lives on another continent so we can't swap lenses or anything. This will be used mainly for still shots not video.

I'm hoping to get into photography, so it'll be a lot more than just a few pictures here and there. I'm not sure exactly what I'll mainly be taking pictures of, perhaps a variety of things, but probably more portraits and landscapes. My friend who has that camera lives on another continent so we can't swap lenses or anything. This will be used mainly for still shots not video.

In that case my recommendation would be the Nikon D5100 or possibly the D5200 depending on your budget. They both feature in camera HDR - which is a very nice feature to have for landscapes. The Nikon's have better still image quality than the Canon T3I. While the T3I is a nice camera and quite capable, both the D5100 and D5200 have better dynamic range, better autofocus systems, better low light performance, and a higher frame per second shooting speed.

Honestly you can't really go "wrong" with any of the choices, but I think you'll probably get the best value for your money with either the D5100 or D5200.

That's a bit above my budget unfortunately. I would like to spend under $500...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

For the price this is hands down the best camera you can get.

The D5100 is a very capable camera, I honestly cant believe they go this low even if its refurbished.

Lol.. I know what you mean. Wasn't just a couple of months ago that I paid about that much just for the D5100 body without the lens, and mine was used, not a refurb. That's ok, hoping to have a few bucks put together and with any luck they'll do the same thing for a D7100. Eh.. probably not, but I can dream right? Lol

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back