My First HDR attempt - C&Cs are welcome

tal_polano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, i'm a newbie when it comes to photography. It took me quite a while before i got the hang of this so called HDR.

For those who had been doing HDRs for a long time, i would very much appreciate any comments and suggestions for the improvements of my work..

041_-2_-3_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg

039_-2_-3_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg

thank you :D

well on the first image you have too much contrast and if you used photomatix to make up your hdr I would back off the black slider. Also your background enviroment is blown out I mean the sky looks like yoohoo then it looks like the warden shined his spotlight dead center over the passenger side. For being a 1st timer I don't think its that bad but sometimes hdr is supposed to be realistic to sometimes border realistic where it looks kind of like a painting enhanced image if you are looking for the grunge effect.

The 2nd image is going for grunge but it has been over processed aka cooked your whites are blown out again.
to help you get an idea have a look at some of these I found online
9 Great HDR Car Photos

your images just need to be tweaked and some corrections need to be made but hey
your getting there.The goal is to get the most details and the most range out of your images
now a days mostly all new hdr's are going to realistic look to it and the grunge effect is pretty much leaving out the door
with some exeptions that work well. As for me it depends on the image final presentation I have seen some great grunge looking
HDR.But I do prefer seeing something closer to what my eyes see everyday. I mean nobody looks outside and see's the world in chocolate unless they are color blind perhaps or they are willy wonka and the car is made out of milk chocolate.<< Sorry just felt like
cracking some jokes here. Don't take me serious.

Last edited:
9 Great HDR Car Photos, a title applied by the guy who put up those photos. I wouldnt define them as that. If most of them were posted here Im sure people would have things to say about each of them. Mostly poor tone mapping skills.

I have never been into the whole overdone fake looking HDR's. IMO an HDR is a form of photograph where 3 or more exposures are used to bring out dynamic range in a way the human eye sees it. When i do HDR's I try to make them subtle. These are WAY overdone. Play with your camera a bit more and read read read. THEN move into this type of editing.

Most reactions

Back