My Humble and Amateurish Attempt at Pictorialism

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For reference, here is an article describing "pictorialism": Pictorialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And some examples by Don Hong-Oai: Don Hong-Oai Takes Photographs That Look Like Traditional Chinese Paintings | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities

Finally, here are a few photos I have taken and attempted to capture a painting-like look (minus brush strokes):

#1 - Morning Swim
6588130191_25abc2211d_b.jpg

#2 - Morning Painting
6588129667_eb891bf299_b.jpg

#3 - Patient is the Goose the Waits
6588118915_6bfa99bd2d_b.jpg

NOTE: I do notice the horizon in the first photo...I am an idiot and will correct it sometime...or not...

Last edited:
Number 3 is my favorite.

Here is how I'd crop it. I also rotated just a *hair* to the right.
6668555893_39b74e5e61.jpg

Edited to add: I didn't know this was an actual technique when I did it, but I have something along these lines on my flickr. gettaedit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thank you much jowensphoto...I am thinking the plant growing behind the goose needs to be cloned out as well...this looks much better cropped in my opinion, thank you for your time and effort, much appreciated!

So photographers try to make their photographs to look like paintings while painters try to make their paintings look like real photograph. It is a full circle! :)

If you have access to one, try making an adjustment with the Color Balance tool. I am finding that you can get some interesting pictorial effects with this tool, especially when pushing the sliders towered magenta and yellow.

His are lovely, especially like the one from the summer palace bridge.

No. 2 is my least favorite, I find the foreground grass a bit distracting. No. 3 is my favorite as well.

Mr. Hong-Oia is awesome and an inspiration...I don't expect to rival him, but it is fun trying to be at a good place at the right time to get the right lighting conditions...

@ann - That's funny...Number 2 is my favorite and 3 is my least favorite...

@everyone - thank you so much for all the comments...you all just made my day...

Lovely light in these!! I think these are actually pretty good efforts. Seriously.

Mr. Hong-Oia is awesome and an inspiration...I don't expect to rival him, but it is fun trying to be at a good place at the right time to get the right lighting conditions...

@ann - That's funny...Number 2 is my favorite and 3 is my least favorite...

@everyone - thank you so much for all the comments...you all just made my day...

I know, it's it a hoot :lol:

The most important thing is how you feel. Keep on working, you have pick a wonderful inspiration.

Most reactions

Back