My Lighting Setup and Resulting Image....

As far a getting the moment: Great job! Looks like you have a pretty nice setup!

C&C: I would have dialed a greater light ratio into your speedlights. You know? Get some shadow going and I think it would fit will Halloween and all. Also I sorta like seeing some of the black folds in the fabric that he is sitting on. That way she doesn't seem like she is floating which is a good thing... I think.

cute kid.
However, was all that really necessary for that shot?
You have a nice window there, I bet it lets in good light.
lol
kind of overboard, but keep it up!
:biglaugh:

But yes, it was necessary because that's what Pink wanted.

On the weekends, my name is Mandy. :sexywink:

:(

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just saying all of that for what? lol
I guess I'm too lazy.

I was just saying all of that for what?

A photo.

And yes, I would have liked to have dialed in the lighting better, but when dealing with a 5mo, a 2 year old crying, and a wife trying to get us out of the house in time for trick or treating... I just didn't have time. I took what I could with what I had.

On my screen, I can see some of the black fabric she is sitting on. The brightness on our screens could be off- I will check on another computer to see if I need to lighten it any. Yes, I dislike the "Babies in Space" look as well.

p!nK

Never underestimate the power of chloroform on a restless young one. Best way to get some peace and quiet for a few hours. And then you should have a bottle ready.

I was just saying all of that for what?

A photo.

And yes, I would have liked to have dialed in the lighting better, but when dealing with a 5mo, a 2 year old crying, and a wife trying to get us out of the house in time for trick or treating... I just didn't have time. I took what I could with what I had.

On my screen, I can see some of the black fabric she is sitting on. The brightness on our screens could be off- I will check on another computer to see if I need to lighten it any. Yes, I dislike the "Babies in Space" look as well.

p!nK
she's not "floating in space". The background is black but I can see the area where she is sitting just fine.

Fill light needs to be right next to the camera,pointed straight ahead,at the subject. Right at camera level or slightly above the lens level is a good place to have on-axis fill lighting. As the term implies, the fill lighting is normally, traditionally, supposed to be on the camera-to-subject axis. In the internet and YouTube age, you'll frequently see cross-lighted examples, as well as from Canon's own official multi-speedlight illustrations...go here for a look Canon EX Flash System Overview

Checked that out - thanks! Question, looking at those monolights from Adorama - would you, in theory, for portrait put one light to the right, and the second one next to the camera?

That's not overkill at all-I've been known to haul out 2 Speedotron packs, 5 light heads, scrims, booms, grip arms and more to light my child....Just today I used a whole 3 lights to do school portraits!

Most reactions

Back