My little rant

ShutterbugSarah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a noob on here so I shouldn't probably be posting this but its something that thoroughly upsets me.

Camera snobs...
The ones with pro level cameras that completely trash talk entry level photographers. Acting like the persons $800 set up is childs play and can't be tolerated.

To me I believe its not the camera that makes the pictures, it's the photographer. I've been shooting with a bridge camera and I believe I can keep up with my friend with a T1i just because I know my camera inside and out. I don't need to spend thousands of dollars to have the perfect set up to be pleased with my pictures. Granted i'll have a D5100 in hand within the next 2 weeks. It's something that will help me achieve more with higher resolution...lol

Ending rant, I wonder if anyone will be paying attention to this.

It really depends on the context.

"Great photos" is such a highly subjective term that its almost impossible to discuss anything without first setting a benchmark for what it is one wants to create and achieve. Once that is on the table then, yes, people can debate the right tools for a situation. You'll find some just cut mustard, some fail utterly and some are close to the line, but not quite there.

A lot of people like the romantic idea that "its all the photographer not the camera" and to some extent it is a true statement to make. But so often people say it without thinking (or think it without pausing to consider what they are thinking). It works within limits as a statement, but can't be a coverall for any situation (if it were then professionals would not invest £1000s in their gear).

I think you'll find that the D5100 won't just let you get more with more resolution, but once you learn more and start to push its limits you'll find that it releases equipment based restrictions upon your creativity that the bridge camera holds over you. (of course sometimes those bridge cameras win over the DSLR - macro depth of field; size; weight; cost as examples).

The same has been said for any art for millenia. It isn't the canvas, it's the painter. It isn't the camera, it''s the photographer. It isn't the guitar, it's the musician.

Why, then, is a Stradivarius such a prized instrument if it doesn't matter?

I'm a noob on here so I shouldn't probably be posting this but its something that thoroughly upsets me.

Camera snobs...
The ones with pro level cameras that completely trash talk entry level photographers. Acting like the persons $800 set up is childs play and can't be tolerated.

To me I believe its not the camera that makes the pictures, it's the photographer. I've been shooting with a bridge camera and I believe I can keep up with my friend with a T1i just because I know my camera inside and out. I don't need to spend thousands of dollars to have the perfect set up to be pleased with my pictures. Granted i'll have a D5100 in hand within the next 2 weeks. It's something that will help me achieve more with higher resolution...lol

Ending rant, I wonder if anyone will be paying attention to this.

I like your attitude! Just keep shooting do what you're doing and don't let them bother you.

Goodluck.

Your logic is fine when you are talking about hobbyists and beginners, but what happens when it is your gear that limits your ability to properly perform the task at hand? Frames per second... ISO... sharpness... largest maximum aperture... dual card slots for instant back-ups... the list can go on.

I think where most people act like "camera snobs" are when new users post up about how they are about to shoot their first wedding with their Canon Rebel. In this case, the snob is completely justified.

Now, for shooting your kids and daily activities, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with less expensive gear. Use the gear that fits you best, and meets all of your needs. When you reach the limitations of your gear, then it is time to become a gear snob yourself. :D

Technically it IS the camera that makes the pictures, but that's beside the point lol. I know what you mean.

The only flaw with that almost cliche piece of wisdom is that some photos can't be made with certain cameras. That's why we have so many people asking "how do you get that blurry background with my p&s?" It does matter to some degree.

another example is sports. I can't shoot sports effectively with a cheaper camera. It just wouldn't work. I've never trash talked any photographer who owns an entry-level camera or a pro camera. I just try and show them up with my images. lol

We live in a "who has the bigger dick" world. It's never going to change. Do your own thing and don't worry about everyone else.

mishele said:
We live in a "who has the bigger dick" world. It's never going to change. Do your own thing and don't worry about everyone else.

Quote of the year!

The main reason you might see some bashing of photographers with entry level gear.. is that so many of those photographers have gone PRO! With no skills, and entry level equipment they barely know how to use... but they are still charging for thier "work", as crappy as it might be!

Even then.. the bashing is at the photographer, not the entry level gear!

If you are referring to that... I don't know what to tell you!

Hopefully you aren't part of the incompetent MWAC PRO explosion! ;)

Last edited:
The opposite side of this coin are those who wonder why people go out and spend tens of thousands of dollars on gear and spend years perfecting their images. Why?

For $500, you can go into Best Buy, talk to some 17-yo drop-out, get a camera, and become an instant, total, bona-fide, genuine professional.

Sarah,

You will soon be getting the D5100? Many here could tell you the limitations of an entry level DSLR that may be important to you when your photography progresses such as no in body auto focus motor, the built in flash unit not having a commander mode, etc. That kind of information is provided to you in helping you in deciding if you are making the right decision and not to be snobbish. If I state I would not buy a camera for certain reasons I wouldn't be saying that to be a snob but rather because that particular camera does not have some features that are important to me. So maybe you're taking things the wrong way.

Jerry

Demers18 said:
Quote of the year!

Lol coming from a person with a ...rooster for an avatar lol, love this forum.

Most reactions

Back