My second try at timelapse and I'm pretty pleased! FUN!!!

kluanelaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Time lapse of Kluane Lake and Sheep Mountain after Spring storm. I took over 5400 pictures in a period of 7.5 hours until my cameras batteries died...right before sunset! The pictures were taken from the Kluane Bed and Breakfast near Silver City along the Alaska Highway in Canada's Yukon Territory. I used my Olympus SP-500UZ point-n-shoot controlled via USB with Cam2com to shoot. Quicktime Pro to edit the image sequence into a movie and import the audio. The music is "Dialogue du vent et de la mer" by Debussy, public domain from musopen.com, I trimmed it and edited in a fade out with Audacity. Oh ya, and I borrowed Dougie's tripod. So all in all for my second attempt at time lapse and with a non-pro camera and only $30 in expenses (QTpro) I am feeling pretty darn pleased with myself! Hope you enjoy. No Magpies or Whiskyjacks were harmed during the making of this film. One cat was made anxious...nobody really minded. Any advice on how to improve would be great! Thanks!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zghltUjd79c"]YouTube - Kluane Lapse; Time lapse photography of Kluane Lake clearing from a storm.[/ame]

Last edited:
That was awesome! Truly amazing. I think I'll have to try my hand at this sometime over the summer during one of our trips to the lake. If you have any more info (or tips) to share, please do! No advice on how to improve, other than finding a battery that lasts longer or plugging it into something. I would have loved to have seen the sunset.

Awesome! I love at the start how its cloudy and grey, than the blue sky starts to crease through the clouds

Dammit, now I really want to move back to the Yukon. You're not helping me!

Beautiful, beautiful skies and mountain. Only thing I may have done is set the camera a tad lower so you see a bit more ground...

When I first saw the birds run into the frame I thought it was HUGE! Like Birdzilla huge! Then I realized they weren't walking on the road...lol. All in all, I like it!

Are the 5400 shots automated? or are you snapping the shots manually?

I like this very much.

So you set it to shoot every 5 seconds? How long did the rendering take? Anyway, that worked smoothly. Nice presentation. You've got the technique down pat. Now to find a maybe slightly more exhilarating subject matter...

That was awesome! Truly amazing. I think I'll have to try my hand at this sometime over the summer during one of our trips to the lake. If you have any more info (or tips) to share, please do! No advice on how to improve, other than finding a battery that lasts longer or plugging it into something. I would have loved to have seen the sunset.
Thanks!, the sunset was painfully nice that evening. As far as tips go all I can say is give it a try on something easy around the house and start playing around with settings. As a amateur photographer I found this was a great way to learn about my camera because you have to learn the manual settings and its more addictive than panning for gold.
For me the biggest problem was how to get my camera to take the pictures in a short enough interval. I used cam2com ( works for Olympus cameras) but the problem there is the camera has to be connected to a PC for the software to work. If you have a Cannon there's a great tool called CHDK that will let you actually program your camera, a bit of a hack but if you are brave or tech savvy it's VERY useful.
cam2com
Cam2Com - Digital Camera Control Software
CHDK
CHDK Wiki
As for Info, here are the sites that got me stared on this project.
The Ultimate Guide to Time-Lapse Photography | Photojojo and
An Introduction to Time-Lapse Photography
and there is a time lapse calculator at the bottom of the following page that you may find helpfull once you start planning your projects:
Time Science - Timelapse Video FAQ, guide, information, DIY how to, and samples.

Good luck to you! hope to see your results!

Are the 5400 shots automated? or are you snapping the shots manually?
LOL...I've been telling people that my finger got Soooo tired around shot 3200:D

So you set it to shoot every 5 seconds? How long did the rendering take?
Yup 1 shot every 5 seconds was about a fast as the pictures would buffer through on my setup, any faster and cam2com got whiney. With my 512 mb of RAM and old 977MHz AMD athalon 3200+ processor it only took a few minutes for QTpro to render at 720p. Editing was a exercise in patience! And to export to mp4 or save to QTmovie I just let 'er go and went to sleep!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far! I Really enjoy this forum!

I had an Olympus SP 500UZ. Was bedridden, daughter wanted to show me something she did in the next room, I turned it on for her (she'd used it plenty of times before so what the hey, right? WRONG!) and she turned around all excited, and tripped. Landed smack dab on the camera jamming the lens in. I called the geek squad and was basically told it wasn't worth fixing if that is what happened. So I bought a Canon Rebel XS. I miss my Olympus for just point and shoot stuff though... and now I wish I'd tried that time lapse thing with it!!! :lol:

The only thing I wanted, was to see a beautiful sunset over the mountains...but it was cut short. Everything else though, was pretty cool. I liked it.​

Most reactions

Back