What's new

My wedding kit (that I'm gonna buy)

Thanks to everyone for the help. :)
It looks like I have been convinced and the filters will be left right where they are.
The cases look great, I'll have to do a bit of research.
 
To the OP ~

How long have you been seriously into photography?

Same question for your mentor / partner?

Just wondering....
 
And why the laptop/ portable HD? can't I just wait for the drive home and do it when I get to my house?

There's the chance of card error over the travel time, I believe the point is to get your data off the card onto a safe location (ie. portable hardrive/computer) as to reduce the chance of losing all your data due to a card error. I'm sure some people on this forum could tell you about the torment of losing a whole days shoot due to card error.
 
And why the laptop/ portable HD? can't I just wait for the drive home and do it when I get to my house?

There's the chance of card error over the travel time, I believe the point is to get your data off the card onto a safe location (ie. portable hardrive/computer) as to reduce the chance of losing all your data due to a card error. I'm sure some people on this forum could tell you about the torment of losing a whole days shoot due to card error.

Let's not go there......:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :x:x
 
To the OP ~

How long have you been seriously into photography?

Same question for your mentor / partner?

Just wondering....

My self, approaching two years now. (I plan to be a secondary photographer for a couple of weddings though before I try out being the #1.)
My partner, I'm not quite sure but a couple more years than me.
 
Also, i would really like your input...
Could I just use the Sigma 18-50 and Nikon 80-200 without covering the 50-80 range?
I imagine that there will be some shots in that range that i will have to miss out on but over all I would imagine that the 50-80 is not totally necessary. What do you think?
 
I don't think you'd miss that range at all, but with sticking with those two lenses you will likely miss having a fast prime for really low light shots and artsy-fartsy shallow depth of field work. The range itself shouldn't be missed on a cropper. IMHO
 
btw... I have the Pelican 1510 too. I highly recommend it. It is lockable and TSA certified as a carry on. I use it to carry all sorts of stuff during my travels.

I highly recommend that you do ~not~ get the one with the pluck foam. You can't pack things as tightly and it leaves a some "dust" behind. Spend the extra $$$ to get the padded divider set that goes inside.

Pelican makes cases of all sorts of sizes but the 1510 is the one you need if you want one as a carry on. To give you a sense of the size, here's an old pic of mine packed:

292495395.jpg


My tripod and camera bag (empty) get checked under the plane in my luggage.
 
Your first problem is that you are buying a Nikon. But I digress. Your kit sounds great. Bigtwinky has some great thoughts. You may want to consider a wider lens and a macro lens. Plus a case for all this gear would probably be appropriate.
 
Wait... Another question I didn't see get asked?

What does the business equip with????? In general, the photographers use similar systems so that they can use each other's equipment as well as backups. You want all the photographer's involved to also be familiar with the operation of the same equipment. This is also extremely important for post-production when the workflow could be disrupted due to different files.

Also, you might want to consider coordinating your purchases. You might ~not~ need to have both photographers with a Macro or equip the same set of stuff.

The handful of times I shot they lent me a camera body... even the differences between a 1D MarkII and 20D where not acceptable. The primary had his own camera bag and all secondary photographers were equipped with the same 20D + 24-70 f/2.8 + flash combo. It kept things manageable from his perspective.
 
Last edited:
I just want to second the divider set on the pelican case. The pick'n pluck foam sucks.
I also have a storm case 2500, which is the same size as the pelican 1510, and I like the pelican better(but just by a bit), its slightly better built, has stronger handles, and additional handle on top.

Oh and I forgot to mention, just for size reference, that with all the stuff in my pelican case usually, I keep one zoom and a small prime mounted on my cameras, you can fit much more if you store the bodies without lenses mounted, and both bodies have grips.

Oh and the hinge pins slowly work their way out of Storm Cases.
 
I don't think you'd miss that range at all, but with sticking with those two lenses you will likely miss having a fast prime for really low light shots and artsy-fartsy shallow depth of field work. The range itself shouldn't be missed on a cropper. IMHO

I will probably keep the 80-200 on just for the ceremony and ceremonial stuff. Once the part get's started i would probably switch to either a Nikon 50 f/1.8 or a Sigma 30 f/1.4
 
Wait... Another question I didn't see get asked?

What does the business equip with????? In general, the photographers use similar systems so that they can use each other's equipment as well as backups. You want all the photographer's involved to also be familiar with the operation of the same equipment. This is also extremely important for post-production when the workflow could be disrupted due to different files.

Also, you might want to consider coordinating your purchases. You might ~not~ need to have both photographers with a Macro or equip the same set of stuff.

The handful of times I shot they lent me a camera body... even the differences between a 1D MarkII and 20D where not acceptable. The primary had his own camera bag and all secondary photographers were equipped with the same 20D + 24-70 f/2.8 + flash combo. It kept things manageable from his perspective.

He's a Canon guy... that's one of the harder parts of this whole thing. I don't think that he has invested alot in Canon equipment yet so i plan on trying to help him see the light. ;)
I imagine that being able to share equipment will be important more than once in our future endeavor.
 
With regards to the case, I'm thinking of a Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive Backpack or a Think Tank Airport Takeoff Check In.
I like how they can be carried as a backpack.
Any comments about this?
 
So you guys are gonna be business partners and not shoot the same gear? Or are you gonna work for this guy and he's not gonna want you to shoot the same brand of gear? Odd......

If I were to hire a second shooter full time, I would supply the gear, of course he could use his own gear, but I would require him/her to shoot Canon for editing purposes. Editing 2 different systems worth of photos would suck to say the least.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom