Natural light kid shoot for C&C

ECshoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a TPF noob, hopefully, I don't break any rules with my first post. I'm uploading a couple of images from an outdoor shoot I did. Any critique is welcome, on capture or processing. Thanks in advance.

Boardwalk by EC Shots, on Flickr

Boardwalk by EC Shots, on Flickr

Hello and welcome, the first one looks very soft.......

Welcome!

They're very good!

I think you did extremely well. While the first might not be razor sharp,I think it looks extremely good, and your second shot is spectacularly good. I think that extreme sharpness is often quite overrated.

I think that within a few years these will become treasured family memories. Really quite good.

Beautiful toddler, cute poses and nice lighting! I like the way the boardwalk frames her face. Are these part of a paid shoot or is this practice or your family?

Hello and welcome, the first one looks very soft.......
Agreed.. I'm going to have to take a look and see if I missed it or made it too soft in post.

I think you did extremely well. While the first might not be razor sharp,I think it looks extremely good, and your second shot is spectacularly good. I think that extreme sharpness is often quite overrated.

I think that within a few years these will become treasured family memories. Really quite good.
Thanks for the compliment. The first was such a nice expression I couldn't leave it out. Ended up being the parents favorite.

Beautiful toddler, cute poses and nice lighting! I like the way the boardwalk frames her face. Are these part of a paid shoot or is this practice or your family?
Thanks, this is from an official unpaid practice shoot; if that makes sense. I'm an amature photographer aspiring to go pro in a year or so if I feel I've reached a level to provide value to clients. This shoot was a planned shoot and not intended to be snapshots. I love natural light and candid moments.

I love natural light and candid moments.
I agree about candid shots, and that is definitely one of my main goals, however, I am frankly put off by photographers who claim to be "natural light" photographers. I nearly downgraded my evaluation of your portraits simply because of my extreme prejudice against that term and methodology. (it's in the thread's title)

Is that harsh? Perhaps, but every photographer who proclaims himself a professional should have a working knowledge of light manipulation. Now there's nothing fundamentally wrong with using available light, and in these two shots, you have produced very good shots using "natural light".

Now, put yourself into the future, and your client has limited time in which to wait for the light, but wants you to get going and make the photographs. What then? Are you going to chase your client away to some other photographer simply because you had not put in the time and effort to learn supplemental lighting and modifiers, or the use of reflectors?

Sometimes the light is good, and you showed us that it was o.k. in this session, but sometimes the light is not good, and you have a choice to make; no photograph at all, a photograph in the dark, a photograph with poor flash, or a photograph with good light, whatever the source.

Please accept this critique in the good-humored spirit in which is it offered.

I didn't say I only shoot natural light, I said I love natural light and candid shots. That certainly doesn't mean I can't use a strobe or take a more traditional portrait. I was merely pointing out that the two photos in this post were intentional.

Is that harsh?

Yes, but it’s also true. Not specific to the OP or these photos, I agree with most of what you said. Good advice - blunt but well intentioned. I also know how hard it can be to understand and use flash/strobes/artificial light - it’s a big step. Definitely something worth spending time on.

Is that harsh?

Yes, but it’s also true. Not specific to the OP or these photos, I agree with most of what you said. Good advice - blunt but well intentioned. I also know how hard it can be to understand and use flash/strobes/artificial light - it’s a big step. Definitely something worth spending time on.

Agreed, I think anyone aspiring to be a professional photographer should know how to use and manipulate all types of light.

Most reactions

Back