Need Adobe Lightroom Gallery help

jtice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jtice.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just tried out Lightroom, and so far I like it ALOT better than PS CS2.
Its MUCH easier to use, and seems to have all the features I need.

I was trying out its web gallery creator, which seems fine, but I am having a slight problem.
I have the preview size set at 800, which seems to work fine.
And I can see, via FTP, that it is uploading the original size photos also,
but they gallery doesnt let you see them.
If you click a thumbnail, you get the 800 res version,
click that, and it takes you back the index.

Anyone having this trouble also?
I want to be able to do the 800 res and full size originals also.

Here is the test gallery I setup.
http://www.jtice.com/production_photos/

Thanks
~John

I wish I could help I dont think I understand the problem. The thumbnails look good and are the proper size. Your full size photos are 800px wide. And when you click on a full photo isnt it supposed to take you back to the gallery? A person would use the text navigation to go forward or back.

I will have a look when I get home on my Lightroom. There should be a way to do it. There should be an option on what size you want to display the actual photo, not just the thumbnail.

I see what you mean now. You would think that it was an option but I dont see where/how you would change it. If you know anything about html or have a wysiwyg program you can always change your link. For example your birdtree photo is currently linked to http://www.jtice.com/production_photos/content/index.html which is taking you back to your index.html. You can change that link to open your full size photos in a new window.
Sorry I couldnt help more. Good luck.

I could change the link yes, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of Lightroom doing things for me.

I have used,,,, ALOT, of gallery programs, they all suck :(

I just want to upload images via FTP, and have a simple PHP (or similar) page look in that folder, and generate the gallery when someone goes to that page.

With Lightroom, if you wanted to add a photo to an existing gallery,
it would make you re create that entire gallery, and upload that entire gallery again, thats just silly.

My Gallery 1.0 lets you just add pics, but its way more involed than it needs to be, and is quite slow now that I have alot of photos in it.

~John

I could change the link yes, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of Lightroom doing things for me.

I have used,,,, ALOT, of gallery programs, they all suck :(~John
Agreed and Agreed! Check out www.simbullistic.com and see if you like that style of gallery. I have suspended adding pretty graphics right now since Im busy with other projects, so concentrate on the functionability and not the design please. ;) There are a few variations and templates to this type and the brilliant part is you can modify it as you go without changing existing photos or having to automate a total re-do.
If youre interested in it I might be able to help you out. Let me know.

That looks pretty nice Moxi.

I have mixed feelings about alot of Galleries.
While the scrolling and sliding/enlarging of the photos into place looks cool,
I still like things very simplified, fast, nd simple.
What Lightroom made is just fine as far as looks and functionality.
But its not making the original size pics work,
and most of all, its not dynamic.
If you want to add a photo to an existing gallery, you have to totally recreate it, thats just down right stupid.

This is what I have been using...
http://gallery.menalto.com/

Here is my main gallery.
http://www.jtice.com/gallery

But, as you can see, its getting rather slow with over 3,400 images, and many categories.
It also requires alot to setup (i had to have help) theres just alot to it, and that makes it less reliable, and if it crashes, you are pretty much SOL.

~John

Yeah, I did the menalto gallery too, and hundreds of others. So far what I have exceeds everything Ive ever used as far as ease of use, modifications, design, etc.
Do you have Dreamweaver?

the reason you have to rebuild the whole gallery on many programs is because its actually making an html page for each full size picture, NOT just randomly generating a javascript pop up of the larger picture.

If you have actaul html pages for your pics, then they can be crawled and categorized as part of your site, helping you get noticed on the web, search engines, etc.... Java = Not.

Think about that next time you have to wait for it to re-generate a gallery.. its worth it.

anyone ever used jalbum. its free

Most reactions

Back