Ozzmosis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.adventuresofcoryandsherry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I've been checking out the local prices for a new Canon 40D and the old 30D, and Futureshop/Bestbuy have a good deal on a 30D with the 28-135mm IS USM lens. They are selling it for $1199.97

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10088577&catid=

I would like to get the 40D, but I'd be paying another $500.00 to get it right now.

I need some advice. Do I wait until boxing day like I had planned, and get the 40D with the 17-85mm IS USM lens, or should I just get this kit and not miss out on this deal?

I've read a review on the 28-135mm lens and it sounds like a good lens. I would be getting a 50mm f1.4 lens for the closer pictures in the future.

I just don't know what to do! I have no problem waiting if I can get a good deal, but I also don't want to pass this one up.

Thanks for the input!

you may want to take a look at B&H in the U.S., the prices are a bit lower, but it may not be worth it after the taxes and shipping, you've got to calculate that yourself. I'd go Futureshop instead of Best Buy. Depending on what you plan to shoot, you can then decide whether you want the 17-85, or 28-135. Don't forget memory cards, bags, tripods, etc.

I just dislike the 28-135 on a crop sensor because you lose so much on the eide-angle end. There is not a quantum leap difference between the two bodies. I made the jump from the 20D so the upgrade was a bit more. Mainly 3" LCD, Digic III, 6.5 fps, 2+ MP & Live-view. Oh, and spot metering.

Thanks for the suggestions... I checked out B&H and they were more expensive and the dollar is at .97 or something right now, so that option is out.

I would use the 28-135mm for long shots, and get something for the wide angle a few months down the road with the money I would save. But I still don't know if I should wait and hope for a better deal or not... Jeeez! HAHA!

The deal expires on the 30th, so I need to make up my mind then.

Anyone with some other thoughts?

Thanks again!

I actually expected teh prce to drop some more. It won't be long till it is at the $950 range. Probably around the holiday since everyone wants the latest and greatest for the holiday.

if i can offer some advice, i would save the money and get the 30D. i have the 40D and like my 30D more. it is known that the 40D tends to underexpose shots and this drives me crazy. there are many times when an iso setting on the 30D is 400 when on the 40D for the same shot, same lens, it is 800. it is a matter of getting used to it i suppose. i find myself using my 30D as my main cam as i always have, and neglecting the 40D. it's a great cam, but unnecessary if you have the 30D. i take GREAT crisp shots with the 30D. i would save the money and get the 30D. again, it's a nice camera, the 40D, but if i could do it again, i would not get the 40D. my 30D with 20D backup was more than sufficient. things i do love about the 40D...the large lcd screen...very nice! couple other minor things but i can't think of them now. good luck.

Most reactions

Back