Need help with a lens decision (24-70 vs. 24-105)

parelbri

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Tried searching, sorry I didn't find anything. Surprised because this comparison seems to come up pretty frequently on other sites. Might not be looking in the right place.

I'm currently considering the 24-70L and the 24-105 and could really use some help. Some questions have been answered online but I just want to make sure that if I spend $1,000+, I'm only doing it once.

So I guess here are my questions:

-I liked the feel of the 24-105 (the store did not have the 24-70 to try). Will the 24-70 be too heavy on my 60D?
-I love shooting with Bokeh. I mainly shoot my kids (both indoor and outdoor). Can you get good bokeh with the 24-105? Any sample portrait pics out there?
-Will my wife be able to use the 24-70 when she is only shooting in auto?

Thank you in advance!

Brian

I've looked into both of these and its a toss-up/trade-off. Have not pulled the trigger, but if I do I will be taking the 24-105 for the extra range for walking around.

Just get the 24-70 and work up to the 70-200, keep it simple. Think tools in the bag that I need and compliment each other.
-
Shoot well, Joe

It seems like my decision varies minute to minute and with every new thing I read. Does anyone have any examples of portrait bokeh on the 24-105? As of right now, if I could get good bokeh (maybe not as good as the 24-70), I would be happy.

Thank you all again for taking the time to help.

It seems like my decision varies minute to minute and with every new thing I read. Does anyone have any examples of portrait bokeh on the 24-105? As of right now, if I could get good bokeh (maybe not as good as the 24-70), I would be happy.

Thank you all again for taking the time to help.
-
Most lenses have example on Flikr: 24-105mm canon - Flickr: Search type in the ones you want to see take a peek.

I have the 24-70mm and it is my main walk around/all around lens. I've done the same research back in the day and by the avg. I found the 24-70mm to be better overall. There's a reason why the 24-70 outsells the 24-105. And there's also a reason why 24-105 usually is sold as a kit and the 24-70 is always by itself.

livi79 said:
I have the 24-70mm and it is my main walk around/all around lens. I've done the same research back in the day and by the avg. I found the 24-70mm to be better overall. There's a reason why the 24-70 outsells the 24-105. And there's also a reason why 24-105 usually is sold as a kit and the 24-70 is always by itself.

I think it boils down to range vs aperture or aperture vs range. Beyond that it's even and there is nothing compelling one way or the other. Neither are magnificent lenses compared to other zooms or primes.

GeorgieGirl said:
Neither are magnificent lenses compared to other zooms or primes.

And weight. Is there a "magnificent" zoom?

I'm looking to upgrade to the 24-105 myself. My kit lens is a 17-85 and I've found that I sometimes come up short at the long end. I think both lenses are excellent choices.

Just get the 24-70 and work up to the 70-200, keep it simple. Think tools in the bag that I need and compliment each other.
-
Shoot well, Joe

bigthumb.gif

It might be worth trying to get your hands onto the 24-70mm F2.8, just to see how big & heavy it is. It's not 'too heavy' for your 60D...but it may be too heavy for you when just shooting your kids. That lens is nicknamed 'The Brick'...and for good reason.

Both lenses are Canon 'L'...so they are pretty good. Maybe not 'the very best', but still better than most everything else.

You might also consider the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 or the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8.

if you are planning to get a couple more of good lenses, get the 24-70L. If you arent, get the 24-105L. 24-105L is the perfect walk around lens I think.

I just ordered the 24-105. The reason I didn't go for the 24-70 was I didn't need the 2.8. I shoot landscapes and do alot of car shows so i'm stopping down most of the time anyway. I haven't gotten the lens yet, but I can't wait till it gets here

I went through the same agony about a month ago. In the end, I went with the 24-105L f4.

In reading various reviews of both lenses, both were quite good. Having gone from Canon film to digital cameras in the last 8-9 years, I dipped my toes in with a G-3 then a G-5 to a 30D with an EF 18-135 zoom. Because I do a lot of low-light indoor shooting without a flash (I much prefer available light) I upgraded to a 60D, and wanted a fast L with that kind of range. The closest I could come was the 24-105 and added an EF 135 f2L. THAT was the best choice for me. I LOVE the 135! I also went with a 16-35 f2.8L to cover the short end.

Perhaps a year or so from now when my credit cards come back down to earth, I'll probably go for the 24-70 f2.8 just to get the faster lens. In the interim, I've simply pushed the ISO up a bit on the 60D when using the 24-105 and get quite satisfactory results.

I haven't used the "L"s for walkaround just yet. It's a bit too cold in New England these days (and no snow!) Given my experience with the 18-135 this past summer, I know the 24-105 will do much better in the sunlight! I just need to compose a bit more carefully.

Most reactions

Back