need help with pocket wizard in laymans terms

Lightspeedfoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, Noob here! Trying to get into using off camera flash. I've been looking at the PW Plus II (2 of them) or one of the Canon Mini TT1 CE (i think the CE is the new one, but dont' know what the difference is other than the frequency of 443) and Canon Flex CE.

Can anyone give me a fairly simple explanation on the Plus II setup vs. the Flex/Mini CE or Non CE setup?

This is going on a Canon 50D with primarily a 24-105L lens until I can get my 70-200 2.8is

Thanks a bunch.

Welcome to the forum.

The difference is that the new ones (Mini TT1) are designed to work like Canon's own wireless TTL system. The idea being that you can then keep the advantages that Canon's system gives you (remote control of the flash power & metering) while gaining the advantage of the PW radio signal. (the radio system is more reliable than Canon's system of using light pulses or IR).

From what I've been hearing, the new PWs do work but there are still some bugs. They would be a nice system if you want to have E-TTL flash metering on your remote flash. But if you just want a simple & reliable, manual triggering of the flash, then the Plus II is the way to go.

What flash do you have? In the Canon lineup, only the top end flash has a sync port, so if you have something like a 430EX, you would need a hotshoe adapter.

Thanks Mike...I have the 430exII which claims to work really well with the PW mini/flex combo. I actually went out and got the pair last night and they worked great right out of the box in some test shots. The one thing I like a little better is the form factor of the new system....smaller on the camera.

Thanks great. Make sure to post up some examples.

Most reactions

Back