What's new

Need suggestion for improvement....

Brooklyn_Guy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 9, 2013
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
North Hollywood
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$IMG_6312.webp Image 1 $IMG_6319.webp Image 2 $IMG_6325.webp Image 3


$IMG_6466.webp Image 4 $IMG_6471.webp Image 5 $v.webpImage 6



$IMG_6326.webp Image 7 $IMG_6327.webp Image 8
 

Attachments

  • $IMG_6430.webp
    $IMG_6430.webp
    97.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Thread moved from the Beginners' Forum to the General Gallery (first is for discussion, second is for showing photos)

As a piece of advice: if you really want some in-depth comments or even some critique, never post more than three photos (at the most!). Best would be just one photo for some critique.

If you feel like posting as many photos as you did, put spaces between each (!!!) and number them. Makes looking at them easier (one doesn't run into the next), and commenting, too.
 
You may want to edit this one.

In general, what I see is you are picking out subjects that can/would be interesting and not QUITE executing on them. The first part is harder to learn than the second so you're in good shape.
 
Just at a quick glance, I see that all of them suffer from some sort of tilt or distortion. When using a tripod, make sure it is level. If you are using a ball head, and I suspect you are, just line up one solid vertical with the side of your frame or use a screen grid for the same purpose. Your color balance is off on all of them but the first and probably even that one. Take LaFoto's advice as to posting one or perhaps two at a time for critique.
 
Just at a quick glance, I see that all of them suffer from some sort of tilt or distortion. When using a tripod, make sure it is level. If you are using a ball head, and I suspect you are, just line up one solid vertical with the side of your frame or use a screen grid for the same purpose. Your color balance is off on all of them but the first and probably even that one. Take LaFoto's advice as to posting one or perhaps two at a time for critique.

Hey guys, new to photography and glad I found this site. It has great information. I hope the op doesn't mind me asking, I dont want to take away from his thread, but, when you say "color balance is off"....is that the beige/yellowish tint apparent in the photos except for #1?
 
Thanks for the input i didnt use anh tripod i was holding the camera with hands
 
Here are my biases: Small well defined subjects filling the frame. Small can be tall buildings or mountains, but the subject must be clear. For example, of what I would try to avoid, is image #3. Why? I see a lot going on, but it is too much like walking in to a room and seeing clutter (like what my desk looks like most of the time...groan). i see purple light, gold, and glaring white. I see letters I cannot read. I see tress, a bus, random cars and bushes. What is your subject? What do you really want us to notice? I cannot tell from this image.
Now images 1 and 2 fit my criteria and so does the "attached thumbnail". I see what you wanted us to see. Your subjects fill the frame without clutter. The first one is my favorite. I like the color, and textures. I like the diagonal angle of the view (as opposed to being straight on). Remember that our attention is drawn to the brightest areas of an image, so I would have like to have seen more of the colorful front row of candies out of the shadow. I want to see more of that area. I see where the artificial light is hitting the frame, so you need to counter that with maybe a fill-in flash or a lightening of your exposure.

#5 Nice color, balance and symmetry along with a sense of place. Crop in both sides equally. Keep us looking right in the door, our eyes do not ned to be looking at any more of the side wall than necessary, they are not interesting. Keep the emphasis on the center of the image. That is what is interesting to me.

Keep shooting. I can see your creativity sneaking in!
 
Just at a quick glance, I see that all of them suffer from some sort of tilt or distortion. When using a tripod, make sure it is level. If you are using a ball head, and I suspect you are, just line up one solid vertical with the side of your frame or use a screen grid for the same purpose. Your color balance is off on all of them but the first and probably even that one. Take LaFoto's advice as to posting one or perhaps two at a time for critique.

Hey guys, new to photography and glad I found this site. It has great information. I hope the op doesn't mind me asking, I dont want to take away from his thread, but, when you say "color balance is off"....is that the beige/yellowish tint apparent in the photos except for #1?

Hi, smokedoff. You really should begin your own thread. It is easy to do, and you will get more and better answers.
 
i would say that with the exception of images 5 and 7, your photos lack a clearly defined subject. if the viewer can't tell what you're trying to show them, the rest becomes a technical exercise which is good, but you might as well think about what you're saying while you're doing it. :)
 
Here are my biases: Small well defined subjects filling the frame. Small can be tall buildings or mountains, but the subject must be clear. For example, of what I would try to avoid, is image #3. Why? I see a lot going on, but it is too much like walking in to a room and seeing clutter (like what my desk looks like most of the time...groan). i see purple light, gold, and glaring white. I see letters I cannot read. I see tress, a bus, random cars and bushes. What is your subject? What do you really want us to notice? I cannot tell from this image.
Now images 1 and 2 fit my criteria and so does the "attached thumbnail". I see what you wanted us to see. Your subjects fill the frame without clutter. The first one is my favorite. I like the color, and textures. I like the diagonal angle of the view (as opposed to being straight on). Remember that our attention is drawn to the brightest areas of an image, so I would have like to have seen more of the colorful front row of candies out of the shadow. I want to see more of that area. I see where the artificial light is hitting the frame, so you need to counter that with maybe a fill-in flash or a lightening of your exposure.

#5 Nice color, balance and symmetry along with a sense of place. Crop in both sides equally. Keep us looking right in the door, our eyes do not ned to be looking at any more of the side wall than necessary, they are not interesting. Keep the emphasis on the center of the image. That is what is interesting to me.

Keep shooting. I can see your creativity sneaking in!


thank you so much rambler that you take time out and gave me the suggestion i really went back and tried to saw the pics again keeping the fact that you gave and i really found out that i should have avoided that, this was the second shoot i have ever done but next time i will a close eye on the things that you have explained thanks again and ill keep posting for guys like you to learn photography more...​





​
 
i would say that with the exception of images 5 and 7, your photos lack a clearly defined subject. if the viewer can't tell what you're trying to show them, the rest becomes a technical exercise which is good, but you might as well think about what you're saying while you're doing it. :)


thanks salalone for the input ill definately try to avoid that next time i go out with the camera
 
You may want to edit this one.

In general, what I see is you are picking out subjects that can/would be interesting and not QUITE executing on them. The first part is harder to learn than the second so you're in good shape.


thanks manaheim for your input..
 
Here are my biases: Small well defined subjects filling the frame. Small can be tall buildings or mountains, but the subject must be clear. For example, of what I would try to avoid, is image #3. Why? I see a lot going on, but it is too much like walking in to a room and seeing clutter (like what my desk looks like most of the time...groan). i see purple light, gold, and glaring white. I see letters I cannot read. I see tress, a bus, random cars and bushes. What is your subject? What do you really want us to notice? I cannot tell from this image.
Now images 1 and 2 fit my criteria and so does the "attached thumbnail". I see what you wanted us to see. Your subjects fill the frame without clutter. The first one is my favorite. I like the color, and textures. I like the diagonal angle of the view (as opposed to being straight on). Remember that our attention is drawn to the brightest areas of an image, so I would have like to have seen more of the colorful front row of candies out of the shadow. I want to see more of that area. I see where the artificial light is hitting the frame, so you need to counter that with maybe a fill-in flash or a lightening of your exposure.

#5 Nice color, balance and symmetry along with a sense of place. Crop in both sides equally. Keep us looking right in the door, our eyes do not ned to be looking at any more of the side wall than necessary, they are not interesting. Keep the emphasis on the center of the image. That is what is interesting to me.

Keep shooting. I can see your creativity sneaking in!

$door.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom