Need suggestions on 3 prime lenses

Those pics are sharp!

I think I missed the focus a little on the 50mm wide open one (it's very apparent on the full size one), but I was very happy with the sharpness of the 85 wide open.

Shooting a small bottle with two mild telephotos are going to be quite different from shooting people... Both are good lenses but just something to consider.

There's a reason why the 24-70 is a popular for wedding photogs. Its not only fast but you have both a 24mm and 70mm in your focal range.

So what are you trying to say? That the 50mm and 85mm are more for posed/portrait pictures and that the 24-70mm would be more Ideal for moving around and catching the ambient feel of the event?

I like to think on the wide side of it, I would have gone with the 35mm. I'm hard pressed to get my 35 off my camera, to me it's the "bees knees" :lol: The 85mm is a stellar lens and am looking to get one myself, so really all options are good, I can also see getting the flash, a much needed piece of equipment. Safe journey

So what are you trying to say? That the 50mm and 85mm are more for posed/portrait pictures and that the 24-70mm would be more Ideal for moving around and catching the ambient feel of the event?

This is what I am saying (previously posted in this thread):

Focal length not only impacts the distance to subject (to bring things closer or farther) They impact how space is portrayed in a frame. IMO, 50 and 85mm paired together can be limiting because both compress space to different degrees. That's more important than whether or not you have to shout at your subjects. Opposite to telephotos, Wide angles tend to expand spaces. Furthermore, you should also know how DOF is impacted by your choice of focal length.

Some journalists/street photogs like to talk in terms of story-telling (expansion of space + deeper DOF) versus subject focal lengths (compression + shallower DOF).

Also remember... you can hand hold a wide angle lens at slower shutter speeds than telephotos.

There's a precise reason why I paired those two sets of focal lengths together.....

I didn't recommend the 24-70 in your case... I said

There's a reason why the 24-70 is a popular for wedding photogs. Its not only fast but you have both a 24mm and 70mm in your focal range.

Key point is that both wide and medium telephotos are in the focal range (both story telling and portrait/subject). The original post asked if there was redundancy in your selection. I am pointing it out.

Please don't take this post the wrong way... (nothing intended). Just feel like I'm repeating myself.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back