Need wider lens/zoom lens recommendation (have 50mm f/1.8)

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a canon T2i, the kit lens, and the 'nifty fifty' 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. The quality of the images that 50mm takes is so freaking good, the sharpness and the color, its just so narrow. I would love a zoom lens with similar quality.

Primes are usually just as good or better than zoom lenses.

A really sharp zoom would be the canon 24-70mm f2.8 L but it comes with a heavy price tag and is not as wide as is useful on a crop sensor camera.

The canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS or the sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS HSM C or a 17-55mm f2.8 are good options for your camera depending on what you want to use it for.

weepete is right. Primes are usually sharper because they're simple and they have less glass elements. There are some pretty sharp zoom lenses out there. Generally any canon L series lens is going to be pretty sharp. One of the best non-L zoom lenses I've ever used, and still do, is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. It's tack sharp and is a great all around zoom. If you're looking for something wider than that the Sigma 10-20mm and the Canon 10-20mm are pretty decent lenses.

Most reactions

Back