Neutral Density Filter Moire

Cousin Vinny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings, Earthlings!
My NDF is giving me unwanted special effects :chuncky: It works fine, then it produces a moire, then it works as it should again. Examples are attached.

I Don't Hike. I Saunter.: Test Page

TestNeg.jpg TestPos.jpg

Was this a variable ND filter?

In successive shots with no other changes made?

You're dialing down your VND too far. Back it off some. That'll take care of the Dreaded VND 'X'.

You're dialing down your VND too far. Back it off some. That'll take care of the Dreaded VND 'X'.
But the moire was only reduced at the lighter settings and at other times, it goes perfectly down to total black with no problem. Look at the sky in this one...

View attachment 179139

In successive shots with no other changes made?
I can't say no other changes. You have to dial it up to see the shot then turn it back down. Most shots are taken at a similar shutter and f/stop.

But the moire was only reduced at the lighter settings ....

That's normal for VNDs.

....and at other times, it goes perfectly down to total black with no problem. Look at the sky in this one...

View attachment 179139

Can't see attached image. I get an error from the forum.

Bottom-of-the-barrel VNDs will start to X out at 5-6stops, while top-shelf filters can go to 7 or 8 before they do so.

That's normal for VNDs.

....and at other times, it goes perfectly down to total black with no problem. Look at the sky in this one...

View attachment 179139

Bottom-of-the-barrel VNDs will start to X out at 5-6stops, while top-shelf filters can go to 7 or 8 before they do so.
TestNeg.jpg

That's normal for VNDs.

View attachment 179139

TestPos.jpg This one is set nearly to maximum and no X. That's the dilemma. It doesn't happen every time.

Most reactions

Back