What's new

New 50mm 1.8 tested on Col. Harland Sanders

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I needed to get out of the house today so we headed up to the city and I picked up the Canon 50mm 1.8 I've been meaning to pick up for a while now (yay for new gear!!). On the way back home we stopped in at a little junk market so I could give it a try, these are the first couple shots with it.


Found this little piece of cuteness in the parking lot, I asked her Dad if I could take her picture (working on approaching people) and they obliged, holy shallow DOF batman, my bad, cute.... nose lol






Lo and behold I found the Colonel inside! I did a black and white version of this also and while the Colonel looks downright dandy I think losing the red of the View Master was too much to bear so colour it is :)







Back outside I found an old headboard that's almost the same as one I have handed down by family, the light was relatively flat, wish there was a bit more dimension in the posts. Zooming with the feet wouldn't work in this situation, I wanted to move back more and get the top and bottom rails because they have a gorgeous curve to them but there was no more room :(

 
yea...DOF definitely too shallow on #1. that's a scrapper.
i think i would agree about the color in #2.
since you couldnt get the whole headboard in the frame, i think a tighter crop would look better on #3. maybe something focusing on that center board and flowers.
 
Thanks Pix, agree X3.
I do have a vertical comp of the headboard I may tinker with it.
 
Yeah, be careful with the aperture on that lens. At least for me, when I first picked it up, I was tempted to crank up the shallow DoF effect simply because it was something I couldn't do with my other lenses, but I ruined many shots as a result. Not only is the DoF stupid shallow at 1.8, but even the part of the photo that is in focus is noticeably soft-ish because the lens just isn't very sharp wide open. After a year or so of owning the lens, I rarely ever set it at 1.8.
 
Being a bit of a noob, I'm probably not educated enough to really make an accurate assessment, but number 3 I like as is. I like the change in textures, I like the crop as is.
 
Yeah, be careful with the aperture on that lens. At least for me, when I first picked it up, I was tempted to crank up the shallow DoF effect simply because it was something I couldn't do with my other lenses, but I ruined many shots as a result. Not only is the DoF stupid shallow at 1.8, but even the part of the photo that is in focus is noticeably soft-ish because the lens just isn't very sharp wide open. After a year or so of owning the lens, I rarely ever set it at 1.8.
Thanks Cynicaster, yeah, I have a 50mm FD mount that I use an adapter to use for macro, I SHOULD have known better and not done that sweet little girl so wrong ;)





Being a bit of a noob, I'm probably not educated enough to really make an accurate assessment, but number 3 I like as is. I like the change in textures, I like the crop as is.

Thanks Minicoop, it's not a bad composition, I like it alright also but there is different/better ones to be had ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom