New apartment; cleaning questions

techniker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I just moved. My kitchen has laminate floor tiles and the high traffic areas are stained a pretty nasty brown/yellow color, gross. I have never dealt with laminate (because it sucks) and was wondering if its possible to get the stains out. I have a monthly lease and so far I am happy wih the apartment, but i don't want to do any work, like replacing the tiles, until I know this will be long term.

I have not tried to clean them aggressively because I'm afraid of making it worse.

Also, my porch has a lot of mold/mildew, which I would like to remove. I was thinking a good cleaner and deck brush, and then use some diluted bleach to keep it away. Im on the second floor, so im not sure if a pressure washer is practical.

Any help is appreciated!

I would try a Swiffer wet jet. Their simple floor cleaner works miracles on most floor surfaces.

Mr clean magic erasers for laminate and thompsons deck cleaner. Careful with deck cleaner because you can get uneven staining.

Why can't the people who OWN the apartment fix this stuff? :confused:

Ugh laminate , careful that stuff is VERY slippery when wet, to clean it in the kitchen you will likely need a grease cutter. Spray 9 never failed me with 3 kids, that stuff is awesome!

I think could also use some detergents or acids to wash adn clean the floors and walls, as they worked quite effectively and quickly. But be careful not to use too sharp acids adn also avoid touching it with your skin.

Also, my porch has a lot of mold/mildew, which I would like to remove. I was thinking a good cleaner and deck brush, and then use some diluted bleach to keep it away.
Probably don't need bleach. Soap & water will most likely do the job...the bleach would be more damaging to you than the mold. But if it was me, I'd probably go for something like the deck cleaner mentioned above...but you have to be really careful, especially on a higher floor, because if it runs off the edge, it will likely leave lines down anything it comes into contact with. Then you may end up having to wash everything.

Because something is stained does not mean it is broken. However, did you document everything on move in day? Take photos of everything before you started moving in your stuff? Inform the landlord IN WRITING of any existing stains or problems? If not, you have no proof that the stains were there before you moved in and and may loose some of your deposit on move out due to clean up. Stains are not normal wear and tear. Mold regulations are usually under local laws. Deck mold may not be considered a health risk. Inform the Landlord IN WRITING, what you would like done. However, they may not be required legally to clean it. Check with you local Tenant/Landlord laws.

+1 for the magic erasors. They are non-abrasive and work very well. Try that first before large amounts of chemical.

CCericola is right. I took pictures of this apartment of everything when I moved in and wrote it lease during the walk through (ask for a copy of your documentations). Covered the front and back page.

I have got ripped in the past from not documenting, and the landlord claimed I did it. Not anymore!

One, someone has used shining chemical over time, and it is a build up of wax. Two, those type of floors will turn yellow under things over the years. It sounds like an old floor. As others suggested a good cleaner is about all you can do unless it is wax build up, then you can google it and read how to strip it.

I would tell the person below you when you clean your deck, because it will flow on to their area. Diluted bleach is the best way to kill mold. I would let that dry then do a deck clean like others suggest.

Do not alter the apartment before talking to the landlord, because they can make you pay to fix it back. I know that sounds weird, since it is damage. Also, document what you have done to the apartment and keep all receipts. Talk to your landlord about taking the products and things you buy out of your rent, because in reality you are improving their property not your's. That is what I did on my last apartment. I deducted from my rent and sent in the receipt. Lucky this apartment is good about fixing anything that goes wrong.

Used to be married in a family of lawyers, and also learned the hard way...document, document...

Enjoy your new place.

I can't even think of all the stuff the management at the apartment I live in has replaced, after just one phone call to tell them about it...

I mean, everything from a damn lightbulb to a dish washer, or basically the whole bathroom. And carpet cleanings, paint touch-up, all kinds of stuff like that. It's never been a big deal. I will admit that they are more on top of the maintenance here than some other apartments I've lived at though.

Not just inside the apartment either - the parking lot, sidewalks, porches, etc are all well maintained as well.

A pressure washer isn't very big (and even if it was, it shouldn't be a problem for the hoses to reach the second floor)... I would just tell them that the porch needs pressure washed. I don't see why you should have to pay to rent or buy a pressure washer. And I definitely don't see why you would have to replace any flooring on your own.

Most reactions

Back