New England Ice Storm Beauty and Devastation

wow thats crazy, ive never seen anything like that before. So what exactly is an ice storm, like how does it happen? Does it just come down as rain or snow and then freeze from the cold or what? Kind of a dumb question but yeah ha..

wow thats crazy, ive never seen anything like that before. So what exactly is an ice storm, like how does it happen? Does it just come down as rain or snow and then freeze from the cold or what? Kind of a dumb question but yeah ha..

I don't know how the heck it happens, but it obviously comes down as water, but before running down or falling off of whatever it lands on, it freezes. So what I gather is that it must be colder nearer the ground where the ice is forming and not quite as cold up where it's still water.. It's not ice falling from the sky when it's going on-it's like it's raining. Unlike hail, where it's balls of ice falling to the ground, an ice storm just feels like rain, but accumulates as ice on everything it hits.. It's nasty!

I don't know how the heck it happens, but it obviously comes down as water, but before running down or falling off of whatever it lands on, it freezes. So what I gather is that it must be colder nearer the ground where the ice is forming and not quite as cold up where it's still water.. It's not ice falling from the sky when it's going on-it's like it's raining. Unlike hail, where it's balls of ice falling to the ground, an ice storm just feels like rain, but accumulates as ice on everything it hits.. It's nasty!

Thats nuts, sounds nasty. At least it makes for good pictures!

And it looks like we'll have a nice foot of snow to cover this ice tomorrow

Wow! lots of devestation. Should have posted less though, and add some numbers so we can use them for reference.

Wow! lots of devestation. Should have posted less though, and add some numbers so we can use them for reference.

Numbers have been added.

Last edited:
And it looks like we'll have a nice foot of snow to cover this ice tomorrow

Yeah, and my Subaru got read-ended last Saturday during the ice storm, so it's in the shop, and I'm stuck with a crappy 2 wheel drive Ford Taurus rental. You forget how crappy 2 wheel drive is until you go from AWD, which never spins its wheels to 2wd with a V6 where every time you take off from a stop the front wheels want to spin. This car is useless in the snow!!!

Yeah, and my Subaru got read-ended last Saturday during the ice storm, so it's in the shop, and I'm stuck with a crappy 2 wheel drive Ford Taurus rental. You forget how crappy 2 wheel drive is until you go from AWD, which never spins its wheels to 2wd with a V6 where every time you take off from a stop the front wheels want to spin. This car is useless in the snow!!!

Ahhh thats why I like my 4wd truck!

Most reactions

Back