New google search engine...does it scare you too?

mygrain

Friend to nose goblins everywhere
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
desktop searches have been around for ages - its only natural for google to take it this far. Copernic and other had desktop searches long before google. The google toolbar is also scary because it offers to store your cc inform.

In my opinion here is neutral. It is another technology for people to manipulate. You can use any search engine to exploit holes in websites (I was able to root access to several mysql db's with the old MSN search for crying out loud :shock:). Bottom line: people are uneducated about security.

Many folks with broadband don't have firewalls, which is absolutely insane - i find this more of prevelent problem than search. As a researcher, i love google technology (i think yahoo & company have fine search technology as well). Basically, its up to the user to become educated and protect themselves. Firewalls, updating antivirus software, and applying patches to known issues - and for servers and networks a good ids system would be imperative!

So imagine if your 13 year old hacker comes along to your machine, you don't have a firewall, and he wants to find passwords, details and other stuff and you have google search installed- he's gonna find stuff in a matter of seconds and get out of there before you know whats happened! Its not nessesarily googles fault that you were breached, YOU didn't take the proper security precautions. Having a tool like google desktop search only expedites the process, not nessarily causes the intrusion.

So basically i am not too fussed about google desktop search, i just take the proper precautions beforehand! :D

AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I"M EVEN MORE AFRAID NOW...No i see what ya mean Google does provides a great service and it's only logical for this jump but it just seems too intrusive for my blood regardless of security. I think offering up a doorway into someone's important private info is something to be weary of. I hope that Google spells out this potential breach of security issues to the cattle and offers up a padlock system for them because what ya don't know in this situation can really mess things up for ya. I'm just way too paranoid as it is, have always been...then again if yer not paranoid yer not lookin. :wink:

hahaha,

as mentioned before, its not google fault for breaches in securing - its the users fault for not security their computer. The way I see it its like this:

You leave your house, with your door and windows open. With google search, its like like leaving all your valuables (cameras, cash, jewelry) in open view for all to snatch. If you didn't have google search, they would still find the valuable on your computer, just take longer.

But who's fault is for leaving the doors and windows open? The Users, not googles

Man you gotta stop... it's freakin me out!!! lol.

I got an answer...dont store your credit card and other sensitive info on a p.c. capable of internet connection

Most reactions