New here and considering a Sony a550

I X L R 8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been shooting a 35mm Minolta 700si for years and really liked that camera but the time has come to move to digital.

I considered Nikon, Canon and pentax, but none of those will accept my glass, hence I am somewhat forced to go Sony.

After reading reviews, Sony seems to be a fairly high quality SLR dedicated to image capture rather than video.

I watched reviews from cameralab.com that rated Sony even higher than both the Nikon and the Canon, but really and truly I think they're all about equal.

he money I'll save not having to buy lenses, I can afford a dedicated video camera if the need arises.

What do you guys think of this camera?

I would go for a Canon or Nikon. They are proven in the industry and have a much higher support than Sony will for at least several years. With support I'm talking rentals, repair shops and third party offerings. Plus Nikon and Canon have proved time and again they can withstand great amount of use. Sony is still way to new.

I see no advantages to a Sony DSLR, but can go on and on about Canon or Nikon. Go with one of them!

I've been shooting a 35mm Minolta 700si for years and really liked that camera but the time has come to move to digital.

I considered Nikon, Canon and pentax, but none of those will accept my glass, hence I am somewhat forced to go Sony.

After reading reviews, Sony seems to be a fairly high quality SLR dedicated to image capture rather than video.

I watched reviews from cameralab.com that rated Sony even higher than both the Nikon and the Canon, but really and truly I think they're all about equal.

he money I'll save not having to buy lenses, I can afford a dedicated video camera if the need arises.

What do you guys think of this camera?

You should first investigate the compatibility of your lenses. In any event, unless you have some rather extraordinary lenses, it really should not be a factor. You should consider starting over from scratch as an option; in other words, don't rule it out.

Why? Even if the older lenses have some compatibility, newer lenses may be more advanced.

The lenses I have are Sigma 70-300MM 1.4 - 5.6 APO macro, and a Sigma promaster 28-70MM.

Both of these lenses were purchased when I purchased the Minolta 700si.
The camera saw very little use, in fact no use at all over the last 5 years as, it, and the lenses sat in a Sealed Doskocil case.

They are like brand new and they are 12 years old or more.
Seriously, brand new.
I've used them and they are good lenses. Maybe not Ziess good, but good. I've captured some nice images with them.
They are heavy. These lenses have a good feel when you handle them
but they are smooth in operation. I don't know how else to explain other than newer lenses of the same type feel light and plastic - iky.

I hate to abandon them because all I really need is a Camera body.

I could probably pick up the Sony a550 body for around 550.00

Should I really switch to a Nikon or Canon?

My first digital is a Sony FD Mavica. It takes an image to a floppy disk.
I think I bought it back in 2000. It is still works.

Last edited:
I think it would do you better honestly yes. Both company's have great deals on kits in the 550 Range that comes with a lens that I believe would out perform them. Plus if and when you do decide you want to add to your kit you will have far more options available to choose from. Keep your door open. Canon has a awesome deal on [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001XURPQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280443658&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens: Electronics[/ame] Make sure you go to there website and download the 100 buck instant rebate. or even [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5000-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Vari-angle/dp/B00267S7TQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280443794&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Nikon D5000 12.3 MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD: Electronics[/ame] Dont think there is a rebate there but still a awesome deal. At 600 bucks you can't go wrong now or later after your purchase.

I just checked again that 100 buck rebate ends tomorrow but even at 600 I still think it would be a very good deal for you.

I'm pretty sure Sony is the only camera that will take Ziess lenses and one of my goals in this is to have at least one Ziess lens.

Now if I can fit a Ziess lens to a Canon???????????
Or a Nikon d5000????
Will this work?

Not that I know of, and its a shame as Ziess does make some real nice lenses from what I understand. I have heard strong reviews about some of there lenses though I have never used one myself so unsure there. Then again I have heard strong reviews about many Nikon and Canon glass and though some are pricey some are very modest in price like the 400 dollar range and even there lesser lenses you would probably find hard to find a bad review of.

It's really a persanol choice. My best advise is to do lots of research. Even if you find Ziess makes a better lens there is no way they have as many of good glass and Canon or Nikon so what I said before about less options would still hold true. Only you can decide, and it's a tough choice I know. I have been there myself not to long ago actually. Good luck

Most reactions

Back