new lens??

bazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a cannon 350d with 55-80mm and 70-300mm lenses and now for macro and close up shots i need another lens.

I don't mind if it is second hand or new as my budget isn't very high (around £100)

The shots i would like to take with it are close up insect/flowers.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to a decent lens...

Also does anybody know where to get a 2x converter for my 70-300 ef lens.. and how much.

Thanks.. Baz.

For an actual Macro lens...there are a few
EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF-S 60mm Macro
There are others as well. I'm not sure of the prices.
A good idea might be to get a 50mm F1.8 and a set of Extension tubes.

Also does anybody know where to get a 2x converter for my 70-300 ef lens.. and how much
I'm pretty sure that the Canon 2X TC will not work with that lens...they only work with certain high-end Canon lenses. Tamron & Sigma make teleconverters though. I have one and it's OK.

Are you aware that a 2X TC will steal about two stops of light? This will mean that your 70-300 lens will not auto focus with the TC. Most cameras need at least F5.6 (as a maximum) to focus. Your lens is what, F4-5.6? So when you take two stops of light away from that...there just isn't enough light for the AF to work. You can still manual focus...but that is kind of hard with the small viewfinder.

You may be better off getting a sharp shot (tripod or very fast shutter speed) and cropping...than using a 2X TC with that lens.

Thanks, the converter will be used with the 300mm lens on a tripod for shooting wildlife and such.. depending on the price of these converters, i may try manual focus..

As for the macro lens, is this the same as a wide angle lens??

What would be best for close up shots and wide angle landscapes?? Ta..

As for the macro lens, is this the same as a wide angle lens??
No. Macro is close up. Wide angle is....well, wide angle.

For wide angle landscapes...you will want something with a short focal length. The Canon 17-40 F4 L is a very nice landscape lens...but may not be very wide on your camera. Have a look at the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Very nice lens, looks like it will do both jobs but its a little pricey.. i'll look for a similar lens or a used one..

Thanks.

What a great article.. Thanks, lots of help...

Most reactions

Back