new member need some c&c!

barack_obrendan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey i'm new to the forum and would love to get some feed back on some of my shots. thanks!

5531213464_1306c196d9_b.jpg

church_for_lease_by_kilmington-d3dxnfo.jpg

Welcome!

I love the feeling of these shots. The second creeped me out and fascinated me at the same time. If I were going to find a flaw it would be that a little more of an angle when shooting could have provided a little more depth toward the center of the castle, but it didn't catch my eye until I had been staring at it for a while. Very nice work!

Where's your birth certificate Barack?

Just funnin'! I like shot #1 more than #2. They both appear to be HDR. There are some things that I don't like about number one, and they are: There's really bad haloing around the entire structure, the sky especially in the top left of the frame is unrealistically dark, and your sensor has dust or other particulate matter on it. If you can't make the sky an even exposure, or at least a realistic one, nine times out of ten you are going to get called on it.

#2 however I find to just be too visually jarring due to the contrasty processing and the intricate subject matter. To me, it just doesn't generate interest with it's muddy tonal range. Maybe a color version with a less fairy tale HDR processing would look better. Truth be told, I'd like to see the original 0 EV JPEG.

Very nice! What is the first picture? I, too, love the feeling of the second - very creepy!

That's a crazy place up for rent!

The exposure (or HDR effect) of the first is effective but the angle within the upright format and the closeness is too much for me. I prefer the second photo - it looks better composed to me.

I agree with XM_. The first photo's angle is a bit overwhelming. It almost looks like the structure is about to topple. The pillars aren't symmetrically composed.

As others have said as well, the second one has that slight creepy feeling to it, which is great!

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm just starting to play with HDR and I obviously have a lot to learn so thanks for the help. Does that haloing effect come from improper bracketing?

Probably, in so far as an insufficient number of exposure steps, and having to few/many steps on either side of the middle of the dynamic range, make it almost impossible to avoid haloing.

Three exposures is the minimum required to make a good HDR. Using more exposures is usually better.

Most reactions

Back