Newbie wanting tips for fireworks

bennyboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so to tomorrow is going to be a rather large fireworks display to celebrate Australia day. I don't normally go but all my mates are going and it beats sitting on the couch.

I haven't done much night time photography and I know my Powershot S1 IS doesn't handle low light conditions very well.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on what settings I should be trying under these conditions?

I will be shooting the fireworks and the crowds.

I don't think I will be taking my tripod but my IS works a treat.

I don't have any extra lenses yet. :D

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Cheers

getting a fireworks shot is no big trick.... getting a GOOD fireworks shot is a different story though... if you want a good pic, a tripod is a must. whenever i shoot fireworks, i watch the launch pad.... follow the upstream and open the shutter just as it explodes... timewise.. it's a crapshoot... i usually set the exposure for 6-8 seconds for the "streaming" effect.... if this is your first time the best thing to do is experiment and don't be afraid to try new things....

good luck!

I've searched the forums and found HEAPS of info. Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes and if I actually get anything good I'll post it in the critique section.

Cheers

Probably a bit late but i agree that tripods are a must. Other thanthat ,experiment with shutter speeds and angles etc to get a good rangeof pics. And another thing, can everyone stop calling themselvesnewbies, it really pisses me off :grumpy:. After all, you have to start somewhare.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back