Newbie: Which one should I keep? Rebel XT or S5 IS?

thaliagoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I got 2 outstanding camera deals: the Canon Rebel XT and Canon S5IS. I've wanted something better than a point-and-shoot for a long time. Years and years ago, I took great pics with the Sony DSC-F717 so I fell in love with the superior quality of higher end cameras.

So about me: I'm 23 yo, female, don't know much about photography but willing to learn. Mostly just want to take great pics of my family. I do love the idea of having a dSLR but I'm sure I cannot afford to upgrade to a better lens and flash. But I think the ones that come with the kit will be enough to keep me satisfied (for now). Also, I plan on using the camera mainly on "idiot modes" at first: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, ect.[/FONT]

The bottom line is: how does the picture quality on the Rebel XT (without upgrade) compare to S5IS? Is it worth the extra cost? Will it fit my needs?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Those two cameras are very different. If you have any interest in learning photography, forget about the S5 and go with the XT.

The S5 isn't bad (for a 'digi-cam') but it's not in the same league as a DSLR (even if you only have the standard lens and built-in flash).

You won't mind much support for the S5 on this forum. The XT is a dynamo of a camera for the prices they can be had for these days. The XT also has the capacity for upgrade where the S5 doesn't.

Ok, ok, I get it. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

OK, here I go being contrarian again!

There are several things that need to be said about the relative quality of these two cameras.

1. The S5is is much sturdier! Built on a magnesium frame, better seals, sturdier material throughout. A Rebel - any Rebel! - is ... well, PLASTIC!

2. The quality of the glass in the built-in lens on the S5 is WAY, WAY better than a kit lens like the one that comes with the Rebel.

3. The S5 has a zoom range of 12x, whereas the Rebel kit lens is ... what? ... 2.5 or 3?

And so on. In other words, you can choose a top of the line Bridge camera (the S5is) or a bottom of the pile DSLR.

One real argument in favor of the Rebel is the size of the sensor. But, unless you plan to make enlargements in the range of 11x14 or more, that really isn't an issue either in my experience.

I'm just sayin ...

BTW, I shoot with the S3is (the S5's older sibling). Here's a link to some images I've made with it:
http://www.flickr.com/grimitz
Look, especially at the close-ups of the mocking bird for examples of the S3's quality. (Most of the other images were shot with one or the other of my Nikon DSLRs.)

The Rebel is definitely the better camera, but don't limit yourself to one of those just because of a deal, deals come and go. Your best bet would be to go to a camera shop (if you havent already) and just find whichever camera feels best in your hands, as this will be one of the main factors playing on your photography. I have seen some excellent photography done with pinhole cameras and some shocking by great cameras. I'm just saying I think the deciding factors are less about picture quality, and much more subjective. What you might find good, someone else may not, if that makes sense. Chances are that the rebel will fit your hands much better than the S5 anyway, though.

Last edited:
ive never understood the argument against the rebels just because they are plastic. it's not like i work for national geographic, and am swimming through swamps and taking pics in blizzards and in rainforests in 100% humidity, etc.

Not being a rich man i take care of my pricey items. It's not like i carry it in pouring rain, etc. When i hike with it, its in a waterproof backpack. I dont take pics, unless i'm sturdy..if it's raining i bring an umbrella.

So what if it's not made of adamentium and welded perfectly seamless?

most of the time even w/ the best p&s, no matter how good the exposure and pic, you can still usually tell its from a p&s (before any post work)

So what if it's not made of adamentium...

Here come the claws... (kashink! kashink!):lmao:

Just a side note. Try changing lenses on that S5... what a pain... nuff said.

s5 great advanced point and shoot, but it has alot of limitations, even with lens atatcments, If you want to take this as a hoby I would go with a dslr like the rebel

At ISO 100 photos from both cameras may look fairly similar in quality. At ISO 400 and higher the improved image quality of the larger sensor of the XT wins hands down.

So what if it's not made of adamantium and welded perfectly seamless?

I'm with you. Save the exotic metals for mutants and bionic men; it's sales whoo-haa. Any impact that would break the plastic body of a Rebel would shred the electronics and shatter the lens elements of any metal bodied digital camera. Many of my old metal cameras look scratched and banged up. The same beating on a plastic camera body barely shows. I don't baby my gear, and I have yet to have an electronic camera body (film or digital) fail on me; so far it's only been mechanical bodies.

I'll avoid the techno speak since you're new to photography. I have an S5 and an XT, and the S5 is fine for outdoor pictures, but it's pretty grainy when shooting indoors or any kind of low light. It's basically a little nicer point & shoot camera. It's also not great at capturing action shots unless you're outdoor in bright sunlight. If you want to get *nice* pictures, even using the automatic modes, then I would get the XT.

Even with a cheap lens, the XT will still take better pictures than the S5. The only downside is that it's obviously more camera to carry around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back