Newbie with Lots of Questions!

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought a camera a couple of weeks ago and have a few questions that are very beginner in nature!

I want to avoid always shooing in pre-set modes so that I can have flexibility, but am struggling with the aperture/ISO/frame speed settings.

Basically, and time i'm indoors the only way I can get the picture bright enough without using the flash is to drop the shutter speed way down with the aperture wide open. So, what do I need to do to correct this? Having such a slow shutter speed causes very blurry pictures.

So here is a scenario...being indoors with kids dancing around with few lights on. You want to capture them dancing with clear images, but you also want the shot to be bright. What do you have to do to capture these special moments?

My camera is a Canon Rebel XSi with kit lenses (18-55 and 55-250). Any help would be great!

First you might want to look into a book called understanding exposure by brian peterson.

As far as shooting indoors you can turn your iso. With this you will get some noise. Im not really sure how high you can go on that model of canon before you get a lot of noise. If that doesnt work you almost have to turn on the flash. If you have a external flash you can bounce it off the ceiling.

It is a good idea to read a book to gain some knowledge - I have read Kodak's "Joy of Photography" (an old book) and since I am planning to go digital I am reading Tom Ang's "Fundamentals of Photography".

Also as was said you can raise the ISO of the camera (assuming digital) and that will give you more flexibility on f stop and shutter speed. All 3 have interwoven results with each having issues when using it as the controlling factor. ISO has possible noise, shutter speed has possible blurred images and f stop has possible depth of filed issues. It's a matter of what you need to control to give you the results you want/like.

I think the lens you mentioned also have IS (Image Stabilization) Make sure to turn that on, it can help with the shaking-hands aspect of blurry photos. Another option is to use a tripod / monopod, thought it may hamper your manuerverability. I've read neither of those two books mentioned, but I've heard their names tossed around in the forum a lot. Learning the exposure basics is really important!

So here is a scenario...being indoors with kids dancing around with few lights on. You want to capture them dancing with clear images, but you also want the shot to be bright. What do you have to do to capture these special moments?

All the technical advice above, while correct, will only get you so far (read the books for sure). The correct answer is get more light. If you cannot get more light, move to somewhere where you can get more light or get a speedlight (external flash either diffused or bounced)

So to recap.... get more light.

p!nK

Increasing the ISO sensitivity of your cameras image sensor and getting noisy but well focused images is better than no noise and blurry images because noise can be addressed in post processing but blurry can't.

Flash can only get you so far because light falls off as a square function of distance. In other words if distance to the subject is doubled only 1/4 as much light gets there.

The ultimate solution to avoid having to use strobed light (flash) is upgrading the camera and lens. All that takes is money.

A the top end, a Nikon D3S ($5200) and an Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII lens ($2300) will only run you about $7500.00, new.

You could get a Canon 50mm EF f/1.8 II for about $100 that would help a great deal in low light, as a start.

You might consider something like the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM ($1450) or the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ($2500).

You can look over Canon's current lens lineup at: Canon Wide Angle Zoom Lenses

Many of us buy used lenses and cameras to save a few dollars. There is a thriving used digital camera gear market.

Even right here at TPF:

Buy and Sell
Consider this the TPF Classifieds!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back