Newbie would like to know how you organize your digital pix!

Pretty much the same here. I have a folder on my hard drive labeled "pictures", and a ton of subfolders within, ranging from pets, scenery, lightning, automotive & motorcycle, jobs, wildlife, etc, etc. Within those are probably hundreds of other sub folders, expecially my birds folder, which is categorized by Order/Family/Genus/species.

I have a "download" folder to dump memory cards into for review, deleting, and distribution, and two external USB hard-drives for back-up purposes.

Basically, you need to set up a system that is comfortable for you. Once you start piling up the pictures, you will need some kind of categorization system, or you can literally spend an hour looking for that one picture that "I know is here....somewhere"

well, you would THINK I would have started organizing them, but I haven't! So thank you so much for the post! It reminded me that I have to get my buttin gear!!!! I will check out those links you sent me this weekend and hoepfully that will inspire me to get motivated to start this project.

So far, there are a lot of good suggestions. Course, I am not a professional photographer so I do not need to worry about organizing anything for my clients. I mostly take pictures of my kids/family/events. That is it, and I can't see doing much more right now (but who knows)? At least if I get a handle on organizing the few hundred (if even that many)pix I have right now, then moving forward will be a lot less challenging!!!!!

Thanks!

Then just read the 5 easy steps article I gave you and also make sure you add the "Date Picture Taken" field to your file explorer (I'm assuming you're using Windows XP or higher). This will help you sort your pictures by the Date they were taken and you can easily create meaningful folders. In case you don't know how to do that check this other article: Identify Lost pictures

Once you organize your pictures you will feel much better...guaranteed :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back