What's new

Newborn portraits with Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro on APS-C body?

mxblitz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Starkville MS
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning on doing newborn pictures of my son when he gets here in the next week or so. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on using the Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens on a 60d for newborn portraits? I have two other lenses as well (the 18-135mm "kit" lens and the Canon 28mm f/1.8) but I don't think either of those are really suitable. I've thought about getting a Canon 50mm f/1.4 but it's going to be hard to justify with the wife.
 
How many aperture blades does the 2.8/100 have? What kind of iris-shape...rounded/circular? I got a Tokina 100 macro that does a fairly decent job of portraits, but not the same IQ as a 1.8/85.
 
The 100mm would be great for outdoor far away portraits but will be to narrow for normal indoor shots on a crop camera. 50mm f1.8 is a nice cheap alternative to your 50 f1.4
 
It has a 9 blade rounded iris. I'm hoping the long focal length won't be too much of a problem given how small a baby is.
 
Hard to justify getting a 50mm 1.4 and you spent that much money on a macro lens? LOL.

I'm planning on doing newborn pictures of my son when he gets here in the next week or so. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on using the Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens on a 60d for newborn portraits? I have two other lenses as well (the 18-135mm "kit" lens and the Canon 28mm f/1.8) but I don't think either of those are really suitable. I've thought about getting a Canon 50mm f/1.4 but it's going to be hard to justify with the wife.
 
Hard to justify getting a 50mm 1.4 and you spent that much money on a macro lens? LOL.

lol... well I've already got the 28mm 1.8 as my indoor/low light lens. I actually chose it over the 50mm f/1.4 because I was worried the 50mm would be a bit too long for indoor shots. I got the 100mm 2.8L macro to double as a portrait lens (based on positive reviews I've read). However I didn't find much info about using it specifically for newborn portraits with a crop body. It really is a nice lens (blows my other two lenses away in terms of IQ) which is the main reason I'd like to stick with it.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom