What's new

Newport Bridge

How many exposures is this? It's nice, sir. Good thing none if those ships were moving!
 
Very nice. You stripped the EXIF for Flickr it seems. Only reason I was asking. 10 stop ND?
 
Damnit, I need one. I just bought a 3 stop, not nearly enough though.
 
Very nice, Rotanimod.

I was staring at this image for quite a bit. Couldn't escape the feeling that it was tilted. My only other issue was that, with all the light areas, bright sky, white water, the ships and bridge were just too dark.

I tried an edit.....hope you don't mind.

Your level was perfect (as you already know), but the strong oblique lines in the water just made it feel tilted to me. Going to a 2:1 aspect ratio to crop out some water helped, I think.

Also, lightened the shadows to make the boats come out a bit better.

I hope this is to your liking......I always enjoy your work.

Desi.


TPF.edit.rotanimod by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr
 
Edit helps the shot for my tastes but in this instance, I think the extra long exposure, 10-stopper makes the water look more like a parking lot than water and I just can't get past it.
 
ceeboy14 said:
Edit helps the shot for my tastes but in this instance, I think the extra long exposure, 10-stopper makes the water look more like a parking lot than water and I just can't get past it.

Yeah, Jeeze Majeed. The bridge and cruise ships don't provide nearly enough context! Stop taking photos of parking lots!

:-P
 
The water looks a bit like snow, which isn't a bad thing, just an observation.

I like the water/sky comparison inherent in this. The bridge itself ain't bad either. My trouble is that the stuff along the shoreline isn't cohering into anything for me. It's just "a bunch of boats" and it feels excessively busy, one of those situations where I feel like they're big enough to be important, but I can't see what I should be looking at or why they're important. The balance between water and sky also feels off -- either make them equal, for symmetry, or give me a lot of one and a little of the other. 1/3 water, 2/3 sky or vice versa is traditional, and it also works pretty well if you don't feel like you can sell the symmetry.

There are many things to like in this, but those things don't quite pull together to make a likeable image, to me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom