Night at the museum. Opinions?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mom dragged me to LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art), and I decided to bring my D40 along. These were my best shots. The downside of this museum is that the lighting is terrible, and they do not allow flash. Also, having a d40, my ISO performance isn't the greatest it can be. This caused mucho noise, however I did whatever I could to reduce the noise. Tell me if you like these shots:

handsonheadstatue.jpg

galileoorsomething.jpg

babycrying.jpg

motherandbaby.jpg

maryandjesus.jpg

nakedpeopleroom.jpg

pictureandstatue.jpg

rowofpeople.jpg

womenstatuepainting.jpg

somestatuenoshirt.jpg

Which are your favorites?

White balance white balance white balance!

That said, I like the last three the most.

Sorry bout that. Fixed the white balance:

galileoorsomethingwhitebalance.jpg

nakedpeopleroomwhitebalance.jpg

rowofpeoplewhitebalance.jpg

womenstatuepaintingwhitebalance.jpg

motherandbabywhitebalance.jpg

handsonheadstatuewhitebalance.jpg

Any other rants or raves about these shots?

Really good examples for "no flash - no tripod" photos! I like each and every one of these. Even better with the white balance fixed, of course! :D
By the way: did the "no tripods" part apply here, too?
And did you take some with a 50mm prime?

Really good examples for "no flash - no tripod" photos! I like each and every one of these. Even better with the white balance fixed, of course! :D
By the way: did the "no tripods" part apply here, too?
And did you take some with a 50mm prime?

No tripod. I used an 18-55mm kit lens. I could only bring a small bag, I didn't want to lug around too much. It contained my D40, my wallet, a bottle of water, and my Nintendo DS. Thats all I could bring.

Update:

I converted some images to Black and White. Do you think they're better or worse than their color counterparts?

pictureandstatuewhitebalancebw.jpg

womenstatuepaintingwhitebalancebw.jpg

I think they do! Good conversions.
Pity about the one statue's foot, though. Awww!

Those are some cool pictures, my favorite is the guy with is finger pointed up.

I don't like the B&W, though more on principle. The artist made the painting in color for a reason, and it should be reproduced in color, as well. B&W takes away from that.

Interesting. The paintings are the reason I chose those two for BW conversion, because there is a noticeable difference. In the statue shots, they would look pretty much the same. I went for the old fashion look with the BW paintings.

My opinion is it is silly to shoot pictures of other people's art and then ask opinions of your pictures.

My favorite one from the white balance ones is the last one. But there is something about the last one from the first set that works perfectly.
I like all of them though.

Very nice shots! I think you may have went a little high on the iso (understood given the low light and tripod restriction), but great perspectives. My favorite is the seventh from the top.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back