Night-Time Motion Delay Photography and the Police

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Hi,

As there's been quite a lot of interest lately in both night-time photography and "you're not allowed to take pictures here!" stories, I thought I'd combine them both for you in one of my prior encounters.

I was trying to take a picture just south of the river Thames in London down Blackfriars Bridge Road. The scene was a set of illuminated traffic islands which stretch a good mile down the road - straight roads are very unusual in London.

It so happened that I had set up my tripod at it's lowest height at the roadside right outside a police station (at about midnight). The lowest ranking officer in the building was duly sent to question my actions "Ello ello ello, wot's goin on ere then?" You get the idea.

Anyway, in an opposite fashion to some of the nasty stories lately about people being apprehended, the officer and his colleagues who swarmed out to get a look were all very interested in what a "traffic trail" was. It took some time to explain about the red lights at the back of cars and the white ones at the front, but in the end they were all fascinated.

The police were so interested, they wanted to know what a police car would look like on "blues and twos" going down the road (at breakneck speed). So, I was commisioned by the bored night officers at the station to show a picture of their car doing (I kid you not) 120mph++ down the road. They started about 10 feet behind the camera in a souped up Volvo T5, laid about 20 feet of rubber and kept the hammer down until flat out.

Just goes to show that sometimes the authorities are interested in photography and don't mind being involved with a suspicious young man at night. Anyway, enough blathering, this is the exposure I got:

policeblackfriars.jpg

Hahaha, always good to see that our taxes are being well spent with the police force! Great shot, and I love the story.

MAN I thought this was going to be a dump on the cop’s story.
Anyways glad you surprised me, and cool effect.

This one brought a great big smile to my face! Loved the story and the picture. Well done!

Have they seen the result? I'd be interested in how they liked it.

Most reactions

Back