Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G or SIGMA 70-300MM F4-5.6 DG MACRO NIKON

AnthonyCorbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which one should i get whats better? Nikon one or sigma one ( sorry for noob terms):sexywink: the nikon one is 140$ and the sigma is 130$ so price difference is minimal. Btw it's going on a d40 if that makes a difference.

If you go for the sigma get the APO edition - the APO coatings on the glass will give a noticable improvment in quality over the older edition of the lens.
Myself I would say of the two - go for the sigma. The macro feature is worth it to play around with and can be quite (very)addictive. Note that its not full macro, you won't get blindingly close insect shots, but you can get very good photography of things like the opened head of a flower or other things roughly that size.
At this price range both are going to be softer at the long (300mm) end and both would benefit greatly from being used from a tripod setup (even a cheap tripod - the added stability really helps with these lenses)

If you go for the sigma get the APO edition - the APO coatings on the glass will give a noticable improvment in quality over the older edition of the lens.
Myself I would say of the two - go for the sigma. The macro feature is worth it to play around with and can be quite (very)addictive. Note that its not full macro, you won't get blindingly close insect shots, but you can get very good photography of things like the opened head of a flower or other things roughly that size.
At this price range both are going to be softer at the long (300mm) end and both would benefit greatly from being used from a tripod setup (even a cheap tripod - the added stability really helps with these lenses)

The SIGMA 70-300MM F4-5.6 DG MACRO NIKON APO edition is $200 is it really worth the extra $70?

Neither, get the 55-200 instead so you'll have AF.

I would say it is yes - unless you are planning to replace the lens with better models in the near future then I would definaty say spend the extra.
However if Reg is right (and I think he is) then not having AF is going to be a major limitation - especailly considering that DSLRs are not the easiest to manually focus on (compared to the film SLRs).
I would check this out before purchasing and if you lose AF consider looking around for alternative lenses is possible. I can't offer any since I am not a Nikon shooter and simply don't know alternatives -- like what Sw1tch just suggested ;) :)

So the 55-200mm VR Lenses is the best choice?

I was going to agree with the VR recommendation, but it seems - despite not having the HSM designation - that the Sigma 70-300 has a built in motor on the lens.

However, the Sigma is not a true Macro, as it can only focus up to 1:2 on its own. at a distance of about three feet no less. Still, it'll get you closer than most other zooms could possible muster.

I bought the Sigma 70-300 a couple months ago. It seems to be a decent lens. If you go with this one, make sure it has the HSM motor. This is the one that will AF with the D40. I have quite a few photos on my picasa site that were taken with the 70-300. I believe all the winter ones were as well as the airplane. Feel free to take a look.

So the sigma does have an internal autofocus? it will autofocus with my d40?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back