What's new

Nikon 135mm F2

ghache

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Messages
3,570
Reaction score
295
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally found one that i could rent!!!

I have a shoot in a couple of weeks with a couple of models and i decided to rent something nice and expensive haha!
ill bring this lens along with my 24-70

I heard this lens is great for portraits!

anyone shooting with this lens? I dont recall many people using it on here.
 
It's a nice lens. It has very shallow depth of field, and it creates a "look" very much like Canon's 135 f/2 does. The "look" is one of out of focus foreground and backgrounds, with a narrow band of sharpest focus. The transitional zones from out of focus to in focus and from in-focus to out of focus areas are pretty smooth. I am assuming you mean the new AF- or AF-D Defocus Control Nikkor 135mm lens. It's a nice lens. It manually focuses pretty well. Mine is old, and AF model, from the early 1990's, and it seems to have a very high T-stop, meaning it transmits a lot of light; it is the "brightest" lens I own at f/2. One thing you might notice is that the white balance settings used with the 135 DC are not quite the same as with later, ED-glass NIkkor lenses.
 
Cool, thanks for the info. Ill see how it does!
 
I have a friend that has one, borrowed it for a few days, but never was able to warm up to it. It seemed only OK. the AF was not super reliable and needed big AF-fine tune, The sharpness didn't really get good till 3.5, and the DC on it just softened the image more than make the BG creamier. Yeah i didn't like it, the Minolta *cough* sony..135mm STF is incredible if you want smooth bokeh, but as a Nikon shooter comparing the 135 f/2, I think the Sigma 85 and Nikon 85G are both better lenses.

I dunno, maybe i got a lemon, but like a lemon, it was pretty sour.
 
I have a friend that has one, borrowed it for a few days, but never was able to warm up to it. It seemed only OK. the AF was not super reliable and needed big AF-fine tune, The sharpness didn't really get good till 3.5, and the DC on it just softened the image more than make the BG creamier. Yeah i didn't like it, the Minolta *cough* sony..135mm STF is incredible if you want smooth bokeh, but as a Nikon shooter comparing the 135 f/2, I think the Sigma 85 and Nikon 85G are both better lenses.

I dunno, maybe i got a lemon, but like a lemon, it was pretty sour.

Wow, oh well, ill see how it goes,
I already shot with 85 1.4 G and its true that the lens is amazing...

ill rent and try a few more good prime before making my choice on my next lens but so far the 85 1.4 g is the winner.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom