Nikon 24-70mm vs 17-55mm f/2.8?

hoboahoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys. A question. I'm considering to purchase a Nikon lens 24-70mm f/2.8 to use it on DX cameras. Some online sources point out however the lens is meant for FX cameras, and they recommend instead a 17-55mm f/2.8. To me I like the reach of the 24-70mm better though it has less on the wider end (which I'll cover with other lens). The 24-70mm seems like a good "everyday" default lens to keep it on. Is there anything wrong with using it on a DX? What's wrong with me using it with a DX when the damn thing fits on the DX and work functionally? How can they say it's not a correct way of using it even though 17-55mm is with the DX? I don't understand their logic. Thank you.

I've used the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 on a D80, D300 & D700. It's a wonderful lens. All of my "good" lenses are FX even when I didn't have an FX body. Now that I do have an FX body, boy, am I smiling for the forethought.

I am using the 24 70 2.8 as my walk around lens on a D300 and I Love it.
Like kundalini said if I ever get a D700 I will be ready
Troy

There is NOTHING wrong with using the 24-70 on a dx camera. I know many people who do. I think its actually a better choice then the 17-55 because if you ever do decide to move up to the d700 or d3 you don't have to re-buy lenses. It will provide you with great images, and I say if you like the range better, go for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back