Nikon 300 f/2.8 manual... older anybody familiar?

bill9000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
good morning everyone, I am hoping to get someone's opinion here, I am in process of buying a D2X this weekend, and was considering accompanying it with an older 300 f/2.8 manual focus lens, (it's probably from the mid 80's) - now other than the obvious lack of ability to use aperture priority, etc... and the manual focus, would there be a downside to this???? - I guess the biggest question is... could it deliver sharp images and nice color even though it's that old? - or would I be best to just stay away. (it's got a very attractive price, thats why I am even entertaining the idea!)

thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
The older Nikon glass, as long as it is in great condition, is still amazing. I have an old 105mm 2.5 that just floors me with how sharp it is everytime I use it. And the color is the best out of all my glass.

You can still use aperture priority.

Aperture priority is set on the lens- just set the camera to shutter priority. ;)

And ya, a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 F was a good lens.

You can still use aperture priority.

Aperture priority is set on the lens- just set the camera to shutter priority. ;)

And ya, a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 F was a good lens.
awesome, thanks for the reply, so if I paired that lens with a D2X, I'd be able to get some good, sharp stuff?? (assuming my skills were adequate)
----

I'm just trying to be thorough, I just borrowed a D2X and a Sigma 50-500, and I was horribly disappointed with the Sigma for sharpness, build quality and color.... it was terrible... - so I was wondering if the old Nikon would be better than a newer Sigma or Tamron (I am financially challenged, which is why I ask these things!) LOL - "Photographer carries no cash, he's married"

If you mean this: then yes, it's very good!

There are quite a few web pages reviewing it last I looked so you can go read about it. I picked mine up for ~$250 and it was great! I since sold it for $400 and made a little money on it. :D It's the 2nd time I've owned this lens if that tells you anything. ;)

Last edited:
If you mean this: then yes, it's very good!

yep. :D that's the one... I'm picking it up tomorrow... I just figured out that with a D2X and a teleconverter, it could become a pretty good 600mm f/4 ?? - as long as it gives good color and sharp images, I am gonna be reeeeeal happy!

Cool.. link back here in this thread when you take some nice shots with it! :thumbup:

yep. :D that's the one... I'm picking it up tomorrow... I just figured out that with a D2X and a teleconverter, it could become a pretty good 600mm f/4 ?? -

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you use a 1.4x TC, then you would have a 420mm f/4, a 1.7x would give you 510mm f5.6, and the 2x would be a 600mm f/8??

I've only used the 1.4x, so I'm not absolutely sure on the f-stop losses for the other two.

And congrats on the purchase.....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you use a 1.4x TC, then you would have a 420mm f/4, a 1.7x would give you 510mm f5.6, and the 2x would be a 600mm f/8??

I've only used the 1.4x, so I'm not absolutely sure on the f-stop losses for the other two.

And congrats on the purchase.....

thanks! I am excited... On my calculations, I was taking into account the 1.5 magnification of the d2x

thanks! I am excited... On my calculations, I was taking into account the 1.5 magnification of the d2x

Taking that into account, a 1.4x would give you the full frame equivalent of a 630mm f/4. I think you will enjoy your D2x & the lens. I have the D2xs, and I love it....built like an Abrams tank. I used to have a 500mm f/4P, which was also the older manual focus. Unfortunately I needed to sell it for some hard times at home, but I will have another one.

I got it! yaaay! - I have only taken a few frames, bu they look awesome. I'll post something as soon as I get familiar with the whole setup in the next few days!

Most reactions

Back