Nikon 80-200mm F/2.8 AF D "One Touch"

Silverbackmp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just scored a near mint Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 AF D "One Touch" for $670 on a buy it now on Ebay (plus a reasonble $10 actual shipping charge). Can anyone telll me anything about the lens. Should have I gone with the "push pull" varient and/or held out for the AFS? I use a D80 if that helps. Even with a slightly slower auto focus I think I should be OK with a quick adjustment of the "one touch" for focusing (not sure about a focus lock). Also, is there a seperate hood for this lens?

As I am not a professional, therefore I don't think I need the newest profession level gear but I'm happy to have the professional level gear from 5 or 10 years ago at a discounted price.

Thanks

Snyder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
personally its a good lense, however I would never buy it, I would save the extra money to get a 70-200 Vr its just so much more superior to the 80-200 in every way. Just my 2 cents.

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Photos OK to edit
personally its a good lense, however I would never buy it, I would save the extra money to get a 70-200 Vr its just so much more superior to the 80-200 in every way. Just my 2 cents.

At 2-3 times the cost. The 80-200 is still a very good lens (similar optically to the 70-200 from what I've read, just no VR). I went and fiddled with one of the push-pull versions at a local camera shop and absolutely hated it (the focus ring focuses backwards to my only other push pull lens for my FG), so I think you'll be happy with the zoom ring version. I've heard good things about the AF-S version, but I don't think the AF-D version will give you much of an issue. I plan to buy one eventually and I'll probably end up with the AF-D.

photogincollege

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
ill chime in, the 80-200 2.8 will be very good, and thats a good price, go for about 900 bh. yes the 70-200 vr will be far superior but its also a lot more expensive :). 1600 as compared to 900. If you can find a good deal go with the 70-200 otherwise since you say your not a pro and dont expect to be (and even if you did) i think the 80-200 should do fine.

sabbath999

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

No, it isn't "superior to the 80-200 in every way", even given that it costs a fortune.

The 70-200 VR (which I own) is not noticeably sharper than the 80-200, for example. The build quality is not more sturdy. It is not "one touch", which is a plus for some and a minus for others...

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the 80-200 over the 70-200 VR... which I do not think is worth the extra money I paid for it.

jstuedle

Reaction score
Website
www.picture-daddy.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own the push-pull one touch and the last 80-200 before VR. Love them both, and both are tack sharp. (just as sharp as a friends 70-200 VR) The one-touch is great for quick action sports venues like high school b-ball and football games. (yea, maybe Euro style f-ball too) I like it for concerts too when you may want the whole stage in a frame, but then a single performer does something that you want to isolate. The only drawback to the one-touch is lack of a tripod foot. That is the only reason I have 2 versions. And no plans on getting a VR anytime soon. Just don't see the need.

OP
S

Silverbackmp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Glad to hear good things about this lens from those more experienced than myself. I did my research before buying the 80-200 (days of reading and using the search feature on TPH--I'm lucky I still have a girlfriend). However, I was really unsure of which of the non AFS versions that people prefered and looks like I made a good choice for my needs. I'll spend the $80 or 100 for the automatic Bogen monopod (of which I would have bought even if I had gotten the 70-200 vr); I figure this gives me a poor man's v/r--same thing pros and others have used sucessfully for years before v/r.

OP
S

Silverbackmp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
What exactly does Nikon mean by One-touch btw?

From what I understand the zoom and focus is somehow on one ring but this may not be exactly right either.

PaulBennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought one when they came out and still love it. Yes, one wide ring, push/pull/twist/twist for zoom and focus. The only down side to the lens is it's weight. First ones were available with or without a tripod mount. When ISO 25 was in popular use for outstanding fineness, a 2.8 lens made all the difference to getting long shots even in daylight. Even with high speed film the 2.8 allowed 1/2000+ speeds at the track. I moved to this from a Nikkor 500mm f5 cat lens which was just as heavy but had terrible contrast.

You scored a winner.

Garbz

Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...esources/AFNikkor/AF-Nikkor80200mm/index3.htm The MkIII has 2 rings, http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...esources/AFNikkor/AF-Nikkor80200mm/index1.htm The MkII is the "One touch" model you speak of. It has a single ring for zoom and focus. And good luck finding the MkIV which had AF-S motor in it. That was discontinued when the 70-200 came out.

Frankly I'd much rather have the 80-200mm f/2.8 an extra flash unit, a new tripod, perhapse a bit of money left for another lens than the 70-200 f/2.8 VR. The price difference is astronomical! And quite frankly the VR is not worth it. Optically they are both nearly identical. On a D200 the AF is blitz fast, on a D80 this may be a different story and the AF-S model may have an advantage.

OP
S

Silverbackmp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Yeah, I was looking at the AF-S really hard but for the price that they are bringing ($1200ish) you might as well buy the 70-200 ($1550-if you can catch it in stock) and get a warrenty.

I also missed a 28-70 F/2.8 on a buy it now for $750 to include a Heliopan filter (seller required a verified address which I'm in the process of getting). For that kind of savings I could have bought a 10-20 Sigma or 12-24 Nikon to cover the wide end and been completely happy and still be protected (except on the wide) if Nikon ever goes full frame exclusively.

PaulBennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I also missed a 28-70 F/2.8 on a buy it now for $750

There is currently (Jan4,08) one on Craigslist.org for Portland Oregon for $500. Maybe worth checking out...maybe gone...donno

Snyder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
No, it isn't "superior to the 80-200 in every way", even given that it costs a fortune.

The 70-200 VR (which I own) is not noticeably sharper than the 80-200, for example. The build quality is not more sturdy. It is not "one touch", which is a plus for some and a minus for others...

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the 80-200 over the 70-200 VR... which I do not think is worth the extra money I paid for it.

Optics- close to equal though vr helps when hand held in low lighting situations.
Build- both are sturdy the 70-200 is alittle bit longer and has a better tripod mount
Focusing- AF-S silent wave motor is great for quick silent focusing opposed to the noisy 80-200
plus- The best part if I want to take some photos of wildlife I can attach a x2 teleconvertor making it a 140-400mm. An 80-200 cant do that.
But this may not matter to some people.

Most reactions

New Topics